Metku.net

MetkuMods
It is currently 23.10.2018 04:36

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 09.02.2004 13:38 
Hy.

I've tried your lapping technic on the cooler of my Athlon 1Ghz processor, i've got a mirror finish on it (i've used the 2000 grit wet paper on it).

My problem is that now the computer doesn't wan't to boot up :cry:
(when i start the computer nothing appears on screen, and i can't shut down the computer, the ShutDown button doesn't work. I've tried reinstalling the CPU and the cooler about 4 times)

My question is : is it possible that static electricity has built up on the cooler and when i've reconected it it destroyed the CPU core ? If so, is there anything i can do (except for buying a new CPU) ? and did it destroy only the CPU or some other components too ? (like motherboard, HDD, soundcard ...)

I'm not trying to blame anybody (after all, I was the one who played with the CPU and it's cooler so I am to be blamed), all i want is some ideeas about what went wrong, so i won't make the same mistake again :lol:
(like for example if the electrostatic has been the problem, what can i do to "discharge" and electrostatically filled cooler")

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09.02.2004 14:07 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The lapping process itself doesn't produce electricity so there shouldn't be any static electricity buildup. Lapping while wearing a shirt that is made out of wool and sitting on a plastic chair can produce static charge and you may pass it to the heatsink. This in theory, haven't tried it myself. :) I'm not sure if the core of the CPU is conductive or not. Quite easy to measure but I don't have any AMD cpus here at the moment. Perhaps you touched one of those surface mounted resistors that are sitting next to the core? Again, a possibility.

Static electricity is always a hazard when dealing with computers and it is hard to say if the lapping itself was to blame in this situation. As easily you could have been replacing a stock cooler with something else and zapped the cpu with static charge from your clothes. Also, you have to check that the CPU is actually dead. Perhaps you did something else so that the computer will not start. For example loose IDE cable etc. There are tons of possibilities. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09.02.2004 15:33 
Hy.

Well i still think the CPU is to blame since i've taken out all the HDD, CDROM and other PCI cards, so now only the MotherBoard, the Geforce2 video card and the CPU and its cooler remain and still the same thing happens. As you've said, i think i might have touched on of those surface mounted resistor thingies.

Anyway, i'll try taking it to a repair shop, maybe they can tell me what's wrong.

Anyway, thanx for the info.

Post subject: lapping
PostPosted: 23.08.2004 08:44 
Ok for the record if you followed the steps exactly with wrapping the cpu... that should not be the problem...
ok i have hade the same problem in the pas with the ath. remove the cpu and every thing that is pluged in except for the speaker turn on the mashine you should get some beeps from the speaker...oops you should remove the memory also
this is to test that the MB is not dead...
next put the cpu in <in the irhgt way> the ath can be placed in incorrectly this will BLOW the cpu as soon as you flip the switch...
turn it on you should get a few beeps from the speaker this tells you that the cpu is still working also...
plug in the vedio card and turn it back on that this point you should get the testing screen....
Good luck
Ps i am planning on posting soe serous mods

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23.08.2004 16:11 
japala wrote:
The lapping process itself doesn't produce electricity so there shouldn't be any static electricity buildup. Lapping while wearing a shirt that is made out of wool and sitting on a plastic chair can produce static charge and you may pass it to the heatsink. This in theory, haven't tried it myself. :) I'm not sure if the core of the CPU is conductive or not. Quite easy to measure but I don't have any AMD cpus here at the moment. Perhaps you touched one of those surface mounted resistors that are sitting next to the core? Again, a possibility.

Static electricity is always a hazard when dealing with computers and it is hard to say if the lapping itself was to blame in this situation. As easily you could have been replacing a stock cooler with something else and zapped the cpu with static charge from your clothes. Also, you have to check that the CPU is actually dead. Perhaps you did something else so that the computer will not start. For example loose IDE cable etc. There are tons of possibilities. :)