Metku.net

MetkuMods
It is currently 16.10.2019 06:12

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 26.07.2002 11:06 
Love the keyboard spotlights, gonna do that to mine. How about this for an improvement though: instead of fitting a clunky switch to turn them on & off, wire them up to the Scroll Lock LED and use the useless Scroll Lock button to turn on your keyboard spotlights!

Might just have to use the scroll lock LED to triger some sort of logic (transistor?) to handle the extra current of the added LED's... I don't think the scroll lock button DOES anything that'd interfere with normal computer use though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 26.07.2002 11:49 
Site Admin
Site Admin

You could wire a transistor to that led. Just connect the similar circuit that is in the picture to that led and not to your motherboard and it should work just fine.

http://metku.net/index.html?sect=view&n ... ransistori

Scroll lock could be the best choice for most but some systems use that key. For example in Linux if you press scroll lock in virtual terminal it will lock the screen and there will be no new lines coming to the screen etc. With that in mind why not try it. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 26.07.2002 15:52 
Super Modder
Super Modder

And our Server-switch (KVM-switch) uses ScrollLock key to switch between servers...

hyrava@IrcNet

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18.11.2002 07:07 
Regular Modder
Regular Modder

i wna t to completely disconnect the scroll lock key and use it only for the leds. if i just cut the led and solder the leds, the lights will stay on only while i press the button, so i need a flip-flop switch, right. what kind do i need? where can i buy on in souther california, and what is the model number?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20.11.2002 05:31 
Regular Modder
Regular Modder

i didnt really make myself clear. i dont wan to do it through the scroll lock led. i want to do it through the button itself and completely disconnect scroll lock. i know what needs to be done, but i have no idea ho to solder to the thin copper on the plastic ( wont the copper shrink from the heat and wont the plastic sheet melt [ my keyboard has the trasparent paperlike type])

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21.11.2002 09:25 
Site Admin
Site Admin

No, you shouldn't solder to that plastic as you said. Try to follow those thin copper wires on that plastic and see where they go. You can then solder the wires for the switch there. Just see which wires will be connected on that thin plastic and make the similar connection yourself where those wires lead.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21.11.2002 11:34 
Senior Modder
Senior Modder

why don't you solder two wires to the scroll-lock-LED? To get that to work you can't diconnect the button though...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 24.11.2002 06:56 
Regular Modder
Regular Modder

japala wrote:
No, you shouldn't solder to that plastic as you said. Try to follow those thin copper wires on that plastic and see where they go. You can then solder the wires for the switch there. Just see which wires will be connected on that thin plastic and make the similar connection yourself where those wires lead.

its way too compex to do that. i tried doing that, but the wires all led to each other and were connected with that black stuff, and then, even though there are 103 keys, there are only 28 leads going to the mainboard. and, in order for the esc. key to work, i have to solder on the plastic cuz the wires going from the esc. key go through one end of the black stuff on the scroll lock.
if there is no other way, how hard would it be to make my own board for the keyboard (how much would it cost to have that black stuff put on?)?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 25.11.2002 02:15 
Regular Modder
Regular Modder

nevermind. i figured out how to get the button to work. i just cut out the plastic (silicone rubber?) where the scroll lock was and now ill just make a new "board" for the scroll lock (see "What did you use for your "testing platform"?" in the animated leds forum). (hopefully,) ill (remember to) put up some pics. as far as the chip is concerned, i still dont know which one to use, and someone is already helping me with that, but it would still help if you guys could give me more help. all i know is that its either 74'.. or 74'... adn that it has to be a flip-flop chip. :mrgreen: