Metku.net

MetkuMods
It is currently 30.07.2014 10:02

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 31.07.2003 05:06 
Junior Modder
Junior Modder

The 17" Powerbook has a keyboard with background lights. I'd like to know if anyone's managed to modify their iBook to have a background light?

As a side note - iBook's keyboard is white (Powerbook's and most other laptops' are black) and it's often sufficient to be seen in the dark room - and i remember for sure the location of every button in my qwerty. But it'd be a cool addition to add some light to it. (As one technical solution, some glowing in the dark stickers under the keys?). As the keyboard is very light I don't know if / how that could be done ... Anyone has ideas or modified an iBook keyboard? (Not clamshell, the white newer iBook).

:)

GAT(IT/FA/CA)$ d-(+) s+:--(+:---) a?(!) c+++(++++) ULAS*+++$($$$) P(+) L+(!L---) E(++) W+++ N-(!N) o+(!o) K? !w++ O? M+++($$$) V- PS+ PE? Y+ PGP+++ t+ 5- X- !R !tv-- b+ DI- !D G++++ e+++ h*@ r???@ x++*?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02.08.2003 06:46 
Junior Modder
Junior Modder

I actually found something I was thinking about. This:

This url has more pictures about it but is in Japanese ... so it obviously can be done. As a zero experience with trying to "illuminate" computers, could someone tell how to do that? My Japenese skills aren't very high. ... :o

GAT(IT/FA/CA)$ d-(+) s+:--(+:---) a?(!) c+++(++++) ULAS*+++$($$$) P(+) L+(!L---) E(++) W+++ N-(!N) o+(!o) K? !w++ O? M+++($$$) V- PS+ PE? Y+ PGP+++ t+ 5- X- !R !tv-- b+ DI- !D G++++ e+++ h*@ r???@ x++*?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 03.08.2003 06:42 
Ultra Modder
Ultra Modder

they used fiber optic wires. it looks like they made the top of the led flat, superglued the bulk of fiberoptic wires to the led tip. then used a soldering iron with a super fine tip, and put holes for the wire to go through. but i dont see where they got the power from.

Xxcr4shxX: w/e
Crash2108: we?
Xxcr4shxX: what ever
Crash2108: no, tell me what w/e is first

Post subject:
PostPosted: 03.08.2003 06:47 
Ultra Modder
Ultra Modder

Here is the same site in english, w/out the pix. what they did was piggy-back the led from the lcd power cord, then had 5 fiberoptic wires attached to the led the way that i said earler. they laid the fiberoptic wires under the keys(keys not there of course) then used something to scratch the fiber optic wire so that the light will shine through. then put the hole thing back together and it worked.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06.08.2003 06:36 
Cool! I'll try to figure those english instructions or explanations now. :)

The 17" powerbook has lightened keys that are on when it's dark and off when it's light enough. i wonder if somehow it'd be possible to add even a swithc to the keyboard lights ...

-g.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06.08.2003 09:35 
Ultra Modder
Ultra Modder

id say try to find out where the existing keyboard lights get their power from now. cut that power and use that power to hook up the led and plastic optical fibers. That looks so great, im gonna do that to my home keyboard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09.08.2003 04:08 
Junior Modder
Junior Modder

I've got 2 keyboards = Italian and US, so I can always use one of them for trying. :? Maybe I should email the Japanese guy to ask him detailed infos in english how did he do it. .. or get the power for lights.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09.08.2003 07:36 
Ultra Modder
Ultra Modder

they do have detailed instructions in english here. But there is no pix on that site.

Quote:
1. Light the LED.
I draw the power of LED branched from the power line of LCD ( Liquid crystal Display) who runs below the memory module cover that is located below the Airport card.