Metku.net

MetkuMods
It is currently 18.09.2019 15:08

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 24.02.2003 19:47 
Junior Modder
Junior Modder

well i`ve searched and read ALL the messages in ALL of the forum`s indexes (at least i think - there were a lot) and there is a reaccuring issue with people trying 2 hook up a led to a serial mouse - the reason i`m asking is `cause the woman came 2 me 2day and said - "i wanna mouse like u`rs" - so naturally i hink she`s meaning the MS intellieye explorer but no she means MODDED - after i woke up from fainting of excitement :D i ask her what she wants carved and she goes and draws this awesome Woodstock (from Snoopy) charachter (she`s a painter!) and out comes the dremel and with my capable hands becomes from to beatiful awe inspiring creation! (or something much like that) - so i have this blue ultrabright 3v led and i try and hook it up in her SERIAL MOUSE which is connected to her pentium 500 (no banter please) and nothing - NO MATTER where and what voltage i connect - from chips, from the board, straight from the lines coming in... if i can get the lights to work the mouse WON`T and vice versa :cry:
also the led shines much lower then it usually does (it once blinded me for 12 minutes from 2 meters - but that`s a different story) - i think maybe rs232 uses less amps - but it`s only about 0.02 amps...???

so - has anybody ever successfully done it??!! and specifically with a logitech serial mouse??!!! (hey u dirty minds... stop it... ahhhh 4get it there`s no stopping u...)

i really need an answer as she`s really loosing confidense in all this MODDING ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 26.02.2003 02:31 
Regular Modder
Regular Modder

it shouldn't be very hard. You said that when you got the LED to work the mouse wouldn't and vica versa... you probably have the LED hooked up to the wrong wire. If you have the LED hooked up to a data line, the mouse will not work at all, or the mouse will work sluggishly and the LED will be dim. Get yourself a multimeter and check the lines coming in... Depending on the mouse type, the power wires should be red/black or red/white or white/black... you'll have to check with a multimeter. I'm not sure what the data wire colors are on your mouse, they might be different on serial mice, but japala might be able to help you a little more with that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 26.02.2003 02:38 
Junior Modder
Junior Modder

sorry - checked all the wires coming in and going out...
the red and black r data here there is also an orange and purple ones and they r also data ... i tried hooking each and every one of them with every combination ... all the same result

Post subject:
PostPosted: 26.02.2003 07:38 
Regular Modder
Regular Modder

there's only 4 wires? That doesn't seem right... should be at least 5... I'll check out one of my old serial mouses...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 26.02.2003 07:47 
Regular Modder
Regular Modder

seems you're right about there only being 4 wires... I'll check the chip tomorrow with my multimeter. What kind of mouse are you doing it on? I'm using a an old Microsoft Home mouse...

If someone doesn't tell you the pins... i'll post it for you tomorrow.

One thing I just noticed... it that this mouse is 12v and not 5... like I said, I'll post it for you tomorrow, once I check it with a multimeter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 26.02.2003 15:32 
Junior Modder
Junior Modder

it`s a logitech 3 button mouse...

btw - the best i could find there is 10mA which is not enough 4 a led...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 27.02.2003 02:24 
Regular Modder
Regular Modder

The LED should be 20mA max with a min of 15mA, so 10mA won't work. That should be the problem with the light intensity, and why the mouse doesn't work when you have the LED working. You may have to run power from outside the serial port, or add batteries to the mouse with an on//off switch. You can buy battery holders at RadioShack. I would suggest using at least 3 or 4 watch batteries with a resistor to make the batteries last longer, and a depression switch to turn it on and off. The watch batteries supply 1.5v of power and enough mA to power the LED. Other than that, I don't think that there's any other way to do it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 27.02.2003 02:37 
Regular Modder
Regular Modder

Switch: http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F010%5F007%5F001%5F000&product%5Fid=275%2D1555

Battery Holder (couldn't find watch battery holder at RadioShack): http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F005%5F007%5F012%5F000&product%5Fid=270%2D413

Post subject:
PostPosted: 27.02.2003 09:34 
Junior Modder
Junior Modder

10x a lot man - i really appreciate the effort u put in2 this :D

i have some warming news...

after going at it 4 about a day or so (shutting myself out 2 the world - it snowed here) - i found 2 points which between them had 9.5V changes in about +/- 0.2V and about 10mA didn`t think it`d work either and if it did - bring the mouse 2 a hault but it didn`t - after stopping 4 air - while running around screaming - i found out the led wasn`t 2 bright - as u`ve said urself the led takes at least 15mA 2 run properly - so taking a risk i put 3!!!!!!!!! yep - 3!!!! leds on the same connection - thinking - "if it works = gr8, if not - i didn`t mess up anything i can`t fix... 8) "

and it WORKED - not the brightest thing - but works!

so i`m gonna leave it alone now... (if it works - NEVER mess with it - is my main - "i would like 2 have this motto but just can`t stop messing with stuff...")

again thanks a mill` for the time and effort, i will take u up on that switch though - she said she looks at the image and doesn`t do her work so it`s more of a distraction (women - go figure...) so i`ll put a little switcheroo thingie 4 her...

`cya (and again - 10x)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28.02.2003 00:37 
Regular Modder
Regular Modder

No problem, glad to see that you got it going alright.