Metku.net

MetkuMods
It is currently 25.06.2019 15:18

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 27.07.2002 16:41 
Ok...

First off, I would like to say thank you to Japala for making such an inspirational site for no charge and sharing it with the public, I am very appreciative.

Now.. Down to business.

I was looking through my "favorites" in my internet and I found your site, My brother had saved it there. I was blown away at all the cool articles and items, and I was immediatly inspired. I went on a search for an old mouse of mine and took it apart and looked around. Since I live in a house that doesnt exactly have the best tools, and such, I had no way to MOD that I could think of. After brainstorming.. I tried.. What I call "My Ghetto MOD"

Well.. After looking around in the mouse, and looking around my house, I was pretty confident with MOD'ing. So I went into my garage and dug through the boxes and retrieved a blue Christmas Light. And then i ran back upstairs, grabbed a pair of sharp scissors and went to work.

First I took my mouse apart, taking the top part off. Then I went to the peremiter around this plastic piece with the edge of my scissors and cut about a 1/4 of an inch of a gap. basically my mouse looked the same.. .But it had a nice little gap going from button to button. Then.. Being vehicle-chalanged... I had no way to go to the radio shak and get LED's. So I took the Christmas light of mine... and slowly messed around until WHALA.. I had light emiting from my mouse. This was great. I found away around the difficulty.......... I thought. This was neat, considering I already had the light and could easily hook it up, but... Being a christmas light.. it drained the power from my mouse and the mouse would not function as normal (The mouse wasnt getting enough electricity for it to read movement I believe.) So... I went out and got two RED LED's for like $2.00. I wished to get blue to complete the Cyro style.. But.. Blue's are the most expensive.... 1 Blue = $4.50... 2 Red = $2.30. So I came home today and hooked up one of the Red ones... and then attached the other LED to it.

My mouse looks neat, and works fine... But I still have a question.

I did not use a resistor -OR- solder.

So heres my question. I know I Don't necissarily need solder if I hook it in tight enough... But... I didnt use a resistor.. and it worked fine.. Please tell me if and why I need a resistor.

- Thank you very much... I will try to get some picks up ASAP -

- TehStark
(Amatuer MOD'er)

PostPosted: 27.07.2002 17:21 
http://tehstark.freewebspace.com/index.html

ENJOY!
:lol: :D :o

Post subject: Oops!
PostPosted: 27.07.2002 17:22 
http://tehstark.freewebspace.com/index.html

*blushes* :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 27.07.2002 20:17 
Site Admin
Site Admin

You need that resistor to sink that possible excess voltage. You can read more about in my basic electricity for modders. Leds have different voltage and current needs to light up properly. Like regular light bulbs. If you power a regular bulb with higher voltage it will get damaged and won't work anymore.

If your led needs 2.4 volts (voltage) and 20 mA (current) it will not work very long if you power it from 5 volts that is inside the mouse. You need to sink that excess 2.6 volts to that resistor.

If your led seems to work ok, it might even be a resistor that wants 5 volts and works nicely with 5 volt source. If it is a led that need less voltage you might want to keep those leds on for about one minute and then touch the led. If they are hot to touch they are getting too much power and you shold add a limiting resistor.

Post subject: Hmm..
PostPosted: 29.07.2002 00:14 
Japala,

I left my mouse on for about 5 hours yesterday.. and nothing happened. Maybe I do need a resistor just to be safe. I will take your advise.

I will see if I can run out to radio shack with my friend Erik again. I showed him my mod.. and he wants to do the Cyro-Mod.. and so Do I. So me and him will go out and get some blue LED's (expensive biotches) and some resistors.

And... I think im going to try this little CD Case Cover trick with boiling it.

Well.. Japala, you rock. Thanks for the information.

-Stark- Amatuer Modder

Post subject: wtf
PostPosted: 15.09.2002 21:09 
hi stark i have aquestion

how do u connect the led without a solder ?????????
and how do u know which pin to use?????

greetz

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15.09.2002 23:02 
Senior Modder
Senior Modder

you can find the right pin with a multimeter...you connect a LED with tape...but it woun't hold as good as a solder

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20.09.2002 15:47 
Rauter wrote:
you can find the right pin with a multimeter...you connect a LED with tape...but it woun't hold as good as a solder

you can also try with all the pins and see witch is the right one...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20.09.2002 19:18 
Senior Modder
Senior Modder

No, that may not be such a good idea because you could damage something sensitive. I'm not sure if there is something sensitive in a mouse, but there is hundreds of different mice so be on the safe side: use a mutlimeter