Metku.net

MetkuMods
It is currently 16.09.2019 01:48

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mouse w/o chip
PostPosted: 29.07.2002 21:20 
I've got a Safeway PS/2 mouse, which I'd also like to mod with leds, but there's no chip to which I can connect the wires to power my led(s)... There's only the two transmitters, some stuff I don't recognise, 2 buttons and another button for the wheelmouse.
There are 4 wires connected to the plate ( can't remember how that f*ckin' thing is called again :oops: ), a white one (CK), a blue one (V), an orange one (DT) and a green one (G). I think those are the wires that power the mouse, but they are attached to the plate so I can't connect another wire to the original ones (there's plastic over them, and I can't remove them from the plate to cut the plastic loose...). How the can I mod my mouse :cry: ???
And yes, I'm n00b when it comes to marks on those 'plates' :wink: :lol:, and I know my English sux. But hey, can you speak dutch :twisted: ? :D

( this mouse is just a test, I'm not ready to f*ck up my optical mouse yet :twisted: )

And how are those plates called again ??? :? :lol:
Mail me : gonzo_vdb@hotmail.com ( no spam please :wink: )

Thx !

Gonzo

Post subject:
PostPosted: 29.07.2002 21:47 
Site Admin
Site Admin

When you turn that mouse over, are there any solder pads visible that connect to that plastic connector? Just take the power from there.

Post subject: Hot
PostPosted: 31.07.2002 13:21 
I found the right solder pads to connect my led to, but after a while the led gets very hot... I got the led from a sample, it was connected to 2*3V-batteries, but it didn't get that hot then. There was no resistor, so I figuered out that the led should be able to handle 6V.
When I connect it to the solder pads on my mouse, it shines as brightly as it did with the batteries (maybe even brighter, I can't tell at sight), which I find weird because it should get only 5V :?: :!: As I mentionned before, it gets VERY hot too...
This can't be right, can it ? Is it possible there 's a higher voltage going thru my mouse ? I tought the max voltage was 5V, or am I wrong :?: :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 31.07.2002 13:35 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Are you sure that those batteries were connected in series? Maybe they were in parallel and they only supplied that 3 volts. Or the batteries were weak etc. But anyway, if it gets hot it eats too much current so you need that resistor. Start with something small like 50 ohms and then go up from there are see how it goes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 31.07.2002 13:53 
Junior Modder
Junior Modder

I'm sure they were connected in series, I just powered it with the batteries for a few minutes but it didn't get hot... unlike when I connect it to the mouse; then it takes only 30 seconds or so to make the led very hot... :?

This mod isn't very important actually, it's just a test (my first mod with elektricity :)) with an old mouse... I screwed up the logo, so it's not of much use to continue... :wink: Maybe I'll start modding my optical mouse, I saw that there 's a chip in that one, that'll be easier :D

I'll go get some resistors and some leds next week, the local shop is closed now :cry: Let's hope I can work it out then :wink:

Thanx for the replies anyway

AMD XP 1800+ @ 1633 with Volcano 7+ -- 256 MB DDR -- Geforce 2 Titanium 64 MB DDR -- MSI K7T266 Pro 2 -- Maxtor 40 gig 7200 rpm HDD -- Creative 52x CD -- Acer 20x 10x 40x cd-writer -- LiteOn 16x DVD -- Realtek 10/100 Mbit