Metku.net

MetkuMods
It is currently 21.09.2019 14:38

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Light leaking out
PostPosted: 02.01.2003 00:39 
Ok, this was a disaster from the start. :c(

First, when I was trying to take the bottom screw out and remove the cover, the stupid screw was ceased in and I stripped the screw trying to get it out. So, I took the old dremmel and tried to bore the screw out. Well, this kinda worked. Kinda. It got to a point where the head was thin enough that it just kinda popped through the bottom case piece.

Ok, good enough. I took my mouse apart and started painting the bottom case piece and roller-ball trap. No sweat. Sanded down easilly and the paint looks good. I decided to cank my original logo idea, and just did some freehand drilling. A little crooked, but hard to notice.

Sanded the top down and added a few coats of paint to this, as well.

In between coats, I spliced my green LED to the power cord. I got a 6v LED, so there wasn't really a need for a resistor. I tried to find the ground and Vcc pins on the TTL chip, but it was a 16-pin 78xx family, and I couldn't find a layout for it anywhere. Checked Google and my old Elec Eng notes.

So I laid the last coats of paint, and have been navigating my browser via keyboard, which was getting old quick. Being impatient, I started putting my mouse back together. It was a little tacky, but seemed ok.

Well, now I can't get the two case pieces to seat properly. I have a gap between them, about 1/32", which doesn't sound like much, but it's quite visable when I turn the light off to "admire" my work.

It's possible that this gap was there before I took it apart, but I don't remember it. I can't find anything catching, and even tried grinding down what I thought it might be, but to no avail.

Anyone else run into this problem, and find a solution? The mouse is a MS PS/2 mouse that came with my system.

Gotta say, though, I'm happy with the paint. It's a dark blue (Krylon, 1907 Navy Blue Gloss), and looks good with the accents (roller wheel, cord, and a few accents on the side/bottom that I taped off before painting).

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02.01.2003 00:42 
And I couldn't find a blue LED. All my Radio Shack had was a 3-pack with a red, green, and yellow. I thought about using the yellow with the blue paint, but wasn't sure if it would show as well. I might try it out to test.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02.01.2003 04:35 
Regular Modder
Regular Modder

Here is the link for the blue led that radio shack carries http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?c ... =276%2D316 . They should have this in stock in most every store unless it is really small. If not, they should be able to get it for you or check another store. As for your mouse mod, you can try and use some kind of seal, so it would be the same idea as the seal around a window mod. Could be as simple as some weather striping from Home Depot/Lowe's and paint it, rubber bands flattened, or whatever takes up your space. Post some pics in the gallery when you are done :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02.01.2003 07:08 
Junior Modder
Junior Modder

Heh, my Radio Shack is probably the epitome of small. Thanks for your advice, that's probably what I'll have to do. I was just hoping that I wouldn't have to resort to that. I mean, I'm pretty sure it sat flush originally. I just can't figure out why it won't now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02.01.2003 08:10 
Regular Modder
Regular Modder

I think you are probably right. I can't think of a reason why they would purposely create a gap. Maybe there is a wire in the way? I realize you already looked for the reason, but you have to take into account Murphy's Law and think of the most improbable thing :wink: You can always check the stores and compare your mouse to a new one and see if the gap is there or not.