Metku.net

MetkuMods
It is currently 01.04.2020 23:57

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hepa and hinges...
PostPosted: 15.01.2003 20:18 
Mini Modder
Mini Modder

A coupple of things I've been wanting to try but lack the resources to do, is to put Hepa (or any really) air filter cardtrige infront of my air intake fans and holes to eliminate dust. Mostly what I wonder is how much the filter would effect performance of the fans (before and after temp results). I considered just taking a whole hepa filter device and mouting it on the side of my case, but I have yet to see a design that meets my satisfaction.

The other thing I've considered trying is to hindge the side pannels and the motherboard tray with piano hinge.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15.01.2003 20:54 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I've used a piece from women's stockings and it has worked great. You don't need to have a special filter to this "mod" to be effective because dust particles are quite big. HEPA if I understand correctly is for much smaller particles than that so they are not really needed for filtering air to computer. Sure you can use them but they will restricht that air flow quite a lot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16.01.2003 17:22 
Mini Modder
Mini Modder

The Hepa is really a dual purpose. The apartment that I live in has 1960's shag style orange carpet that, because of age, carries a lot of allergens in it. So using hepa on my computer would both eliminate dust in my machine and keep my nose happy at the same time.

Did you do a before and after temp. measurement when you added the stocking? Air filters are a little more dense, but close enough for my tastes.

Anyone ever try to hindge the pannels on their computer?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20.01.2003 01:00 
Regular Modder
Regular Modder

if you're going to use a HEPA filter, I would suggest putting it behind the fans if you have enough room to do so. With it behind the fans, it won't slow the fans down near as much because it is pushing air into the filter, not sucking the air from the filter. It should help with performance too... but i'm not sure how much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20.01.2003 21:06 
Mini Modder
Mini Modder

Quote:
With it behind the fans, it won't slow the fans down near as much

Hmm... I agree that makes some sense, but my brain isn't working out the details as to why...

The advantage to doing this the other way is that with the filter pressed between the case and the fan, you can acheive a better seal and more effective filtering. On further thinking thouh, it wouldn't be difficlut to create a grill that would go on the inside that would achive the same effect. So I guess this just became a post to say "nevermind."