MetkuMods
It is currently 08.08.2020 00:21

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: CD-ROM Mod
PostPosted: 17.08.2002 20:54 
Junior Modder
Junior Modder

:arrow: (Sorry for my bad english)

I have an old useless CD-ROM drive and I have thought of a cool mod to make it a bit more interesting.

Since I am a newbie modder I won't try to do it 'till I know how to do it correctly and if possible have seen some photos of a finished one or something,but anyway here is my idea.

First make it as transparent as you can,exchanging the plastic parts with plexyglass or something(By the way,I can't find any plexy in my city! Where can you usually find it?).

Then,put some different color leds inside to make it look better from outside,you know,something like "disco CD" or something(maybe even make the leds spin with the CD? I don't know how could you do it,but I suppose it wouldn't be so hard).

After that make a hole in the frontal plexi,remove the thing that makes the CDs stop spinning,and add a few ¿springs? (I hope that's the right word) and something that makes them stand still when the cd is inserted.

So when your foolish friend asks, "Hey, what's this?" :roll: and puts his head next to the CD-ROM drive you launch the CD out spinning and it hits him, or just to make competitions(Imagine like 50 computers in a row all launching their CDs to find out which one can launch them further),and maybe changing some of the drive's wheels to make it spin much much faster... who cares about the drive not reading your CDs? That's not important at all! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17.08.2002 21:07 
Site Admin
Site Admin

We were thinking something similar in some other thread and this could be interesting. :) Could be bit dangerous if you launch those cds inside your room. Don't know where they might end up. :)

Post subject: well...
PostPosted: 18.08.2002 17:54 
Junior Modder
Junior Modder

Just put a pillow or something in its way, it's like shooting a BB pistol, if you just shoot at a wall it will probably end up hitting yourself 8O :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19.08.2002 04:41 
i did something similar to what your asking...i replaced the front cover of my drive with clear plexiglass(from home depot) and put in 2 green leds shining up from the bottom...as for the shooting cd ask someone else

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19.08.2002 04:42 
i did something similar to what your asking...i replaced the front cover of my drive with clear plexiglass(from home depot) and put in 2 green leds shining up from the bottom...as for the shooting cd ask someone else

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19.08.2002 04:45 
:!: oops looks like i forgot to login before posting that message(twice)

Post subject: Tiny LEDS
PostPosted: 19.08.2002 16:28 
Junior Modder
Junior Modder

If u want the spinning effect im sure u could remove one of the ball bearings from the middle thingy and place a very small LED in there...u would have to be good at wiring tho to make it work correctly...otherwise it wouldnt work to have it anywhere else unless the LED's where on the cd itself because the only part that moves is the middle piece...however removing one of the bearings in the middle i think would take away from the counter weight and it would spin abnormally...if i had the old cd player that i ripped apart last year i would try this but i lack it so u try it....just remember that u would have to counter weight it somehow...have fun...