Metku.net

MetkuMods
It is currently 16.09.2019 01:41

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 01.08.2007 05:30 
Junior Modder
Junior Modder

Hello,

I have always admired this site but I never came to the forum. I enjoy reading about the mods that can be done.. lots of it is stuff I would never think of! I apologize if this is not the correct forum, but I have some questions - I have never tried to mod a mouse but this is driving me crazy!

I have the Logitech left-handed MX610. I love the shape and it's very comfortable, but the problem is that wireless mice are terrible for gaming (it skips around a lot, batteries die, and the receiver turns off for no reason).

I hate ambidextrous mice, and I can't learn how to use my right hand on a mouse (some lefties can, but I am of the "extreme left" variety). The only other option I can think of is to change around the guts with a wired USB mouse, or somehow wire in a USB cable and bypass the receiver (while giving the mouse power from the USB cable as well).

Has this been done before? Where would I start?

I would be extremely happy if anyone could lead me in the right direction.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01.08.2007 07:58 
Veteran Modder
Veteran Modder

Location: Valkeakoski, Finland CPU: E8400 RAM: 8192Mb HDD: 1020Gb GPU: nV8800GT
Easyest way to do it is to get small mouse (like ones they use with laptops) and mount hull of the MX610 on it. This is bad way 'cos you'll lose special buttons, if you don't have them on laptop cordmouse.

Other way is to brake down your MX610 and see what it has been eating. There should be sender that sends the radiosignal for receiver. I have no idea of signals inside the mouse, but I think they are same as receiver is sending to USB.

This is try, fail and learn situation.

I think Stinger would know more about signals and stuff.

Modaus: Mittaa kahdesti, leikkaa vain kerran.
Sähkötyöt: Väri väriin ja loput kannen väliin.
Suunnittelu: Hyvä arvaus on puoli suunnitelmaa.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02.08.2007 12:02 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Nice to see you inside the forums too. Bit too much finnish for my taste but... :)

Anyways, your problem is quite tough. Yes, you should be able to switch guts from a wired mouse inside the wireless one but it will be tricky. Switches for buttons are located on the circuit board so you need to find a way to reach the microswitches from the buttons that do not align any more. You need to cut and glue quite a lot to get everything working. Normally I would suggest to go out and see what left-hand mice other manufacturers have and use them and forget about this build but it would be interesting to see if it can be done. Just take good pictures and if you get it working, write an article about it for us. :)