Metku.net

MetkuMods
It is currently 17.11.2018 14:31

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Make USB Switch / KV-M
PostPosted: 15.04.2009 11:24 
Regular Modder
Regular Modder

OK, So it seems like forever sense I have posted and all so this is what I am thinking now...

I have a couple of PC's that are below the table I use as a desk. One is a somewhat decent machine (dual core 4g RAM) running Vista Ultimate (Yes Yes I KNOW) with NO PS2 connections AT ALL. The other is a lower end game machine (2.4 possessor 1 g ram) XP Pro, with PS2 connections.

So the thing I am thinking of doing is making a switch so that I only have one Mouse and keyboard. Can this be done simple, or is it better to just spend the money and buy one. AND WHERE would I buy one FROM if that is the better option.

Thanks for ANY input...

Dan

BTW - Did I mention I am poor. Grin...

PostPosted: 15.04.2009 14:01 
Regular Modder
Regular Modder

Hi Dan.

Do you have USB-hub? Lets say you have one usb-wire to switch from pc to pc (= you have usb hub, where you have connected your mouse and keyboard), you could make the switch with two double pole double throw (DPDT) relays and one switch. In case you don't have a hub and you have to switch the wires of both, keyboard and mouse, from pc to pc, you'll need four relays.

Relays cost something like couple of bucks and switch costs about one buck. (Don't know what places are good to buy/order from, but checked price ranges from mouser).

Oh, and you'll need two usb cables (one side should have male usb plug, another end is not important.. getting male-male cable gives you two plugs, so...) in case you are willing to cut cables of your mouse and keyboard (don't do that :P). If you don't want to cut cables from your mouse and keyboard, you'll need two female usb-connectors and FOUR usb-cables with male connector on one end. And little bit of wire.
AND you need to get power wires to those relays from somewhere (for example from computer).

Rough price could be something like
Relays $3-$6
Switch $1
Cables $2-4
(Female usb connectors $1)
Total : 10$ +- few bucks (+ shipping)

Those prices are just "about" prices. I'd say, if you can get one of those commercial ones for $15 or less, it would be good to buy one.

That's for start.

PostPosted: 15.04.2009 14:37 
Site Admin
Site Admin

If you want to use PS keyboard and mouse:
http://www.usbgear.com/computer_cable_d ... C908%2C907

For USB mouse and keyboard:
http://www.amazon.com/Iogear-GCS632U-Mi ... B0001BVXI6