Metku.net

MetkuMods
It is currently 22.10.2018 02:46

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 22.07.2003 06:20 
Junior Modder
Junior Modder

I built this power supply a long time ago and now i wanted to use it to power a neon light, that isn't in my case. It powers the light perfectly, except when you turn sound activation on. When it is on the light stays continously lit instead of flashing as it should.

when hooked up to a real power supply everything works as it should.

Does anyone know why this happens? or how I can power a neon light otherwise?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 24.07.2003 10:23 
Site Admin
Site Admin

hmm... I'm not sure if the regulators can handle the current needed so maybe the sound activation can't work properly because of it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30.07.2003 06:20 
Junior Modder
Junior Modder

Would the light work if i just used a 12V transformer, without any regulators (or do they play a big part?) ? if so what current do u suppose is needed, 1amp? or 2?...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30.07.2003 09:10 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I'm not sure if you really mean neon or cold cathode light here but cathodes usually take something between 400mA-1A. Those regulators should be able to handle that load with heatsinks so I'm not sure if that 12 volt supply would make any difference... hard to say...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12.10.2003 17:37 
I've built my own sound activated neon light before, and I had problems with it only half lighting, or fully lighting, depending on the power supply used.

What I did was feed 15v into a 12v regulator (with other parts like filter capacitors, etc). It now works properly, so maybe the supply voltage is the problem.

If the power supply you built is unregulated, the voltage it outputs probably varies with different loads, so maybe getting a regulated 12v supply is a possible fix.

Andrew Howard

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12.10.2003 18:15 
Hmm.

I just had another brainstorm. If the flashing light is one that flashes off, it might be getting enough voltage from the supply. (I just realised that this forum related to the specific pwer supply mod)

If the voltage you are feeding into the power supply is 12v, the output of it will be somewhere around 10. This is because the regulator used in the circuit uses up a couple of volts when regulating. Try connecting a larger transformer, say 15v, to the power supply. Then it should output 12v.

Hopefully that solves the problem.

Andrew Howard

Post subject:
PostPosted: 29.02.2004 22:55 
[img]http://www.google.com/bob.jpg"onerror=javascript.alerte("Salut");"[img][/img][/list]

Post subject:
PostPosted: 29.02.2004 22:56 
[img]http://www.google.com/bob.jpg"onerror=javascript.alerte("Salut");"[/img]