Metku.net

MetkuMods
It is currently 23.07.2018 08:49

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Crazy fader circuit
PostPosted: 23.03.2007 04:11 
Mini Modder
Mini Modder

Moi enta hyvaa iltaa. mina olen Dave. mina just joined Metku this week.
I found it looking for a fade circuit for leds. I have been trying to read your language and these words I have typed I hope are correct. I have been reading the electricity for begin and hopefully I will learn something from it.

Now I am hoping someone has the time to give me some assistance and answer some questions. I built the fader circuit and it didn't work right.
Well that didn't bother me because I read so many others had problems as well with their circuits not working or not working right. I built it on a 2x2 board and because things were really tight together I went over it real good and could find nothing wrong. I put it aside and built it again on a bigger board being real careful with connections. Half of it worked. I kept changing out parts thinking I just had some bad chips or transistors. Still it wouldn't work. Well now I am getting disgusted. But hey, I figure
"Ei kukaan ole seppä syntyessään." So I put it aside and built it on a breadboard. It still won't work so I began again, all new parts and built it on a 3"x4" board but put the chip on a seperate board and the leds on a seperate board. It worked! I was "Ei kukaan ole seppä syntyessään."
for about twenty minutes! Then the chip "Potkaista tyhjää."

If any one has any Ideas what is happening I like to hear your thoughts.
I suspected cold solder joints so I checked everything for continuity. The last time I built it I put in sockets for the LED's, and for the transistors and capacitor to keep from having to desolder . I was ruining boards as well as components from soldering and resoldering. I have thrown away at least a dozen transistors and 6 or 8 LM 324 chips because after soldering and desoldering then so often I figur its better not to chance putting them back in another circuit and not really being sure they were not damaged.
I won't give up until I have built that circuit successfully but I am screaming "uncle".

Japala mita kuuluu. I redrew the single LED circuit for myself to kind of make it easier for me to see and I thought I would send it and see if you think it has any merit. If it looks easier to read maybe it would be worth putting up for others. If not thats ok I just did it for myself. How do I put it in a message body?
Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23.03.2007 08:55 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hi.

It is hard to say what you are doing wrong. Are you sure you are using electrolytic capacitor? The one that has the polarity marking on the body?

If you have the image with some image hosting service etc. you can attach it here by using [img] tags. Just enter [img ] http://koekoe.koe/image.jpg [/img ] (take away the spaces from the tags when you write it.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23.03.2007 18:36 
Mini Modder
Mini Modder

hei. Yes I am using electrolitic caps. I don't know either and its driving me nuts. I have built a dozen little things involving LEDs and IC chips in the past six months with very little problem. With this one I have changed power supplies thinking that maybe as it got warm it started to break down and pass a larger voltage. I know that is unlikely but I am really stumped. I am going to build it yet again. As I mentioned my chip is now on a seperate board with leads going back to main board and it is in a socket to facilitate changing out the chip. Can you tell me did you take any measurements. Again I know it is such a simple circuit why would anyone take measurements. What is the out put supposed to be at pin one? By the schematic the NPN is going to see +5v at the collector what should it be at the emmitter. It seems that my chips are failing. There is some heat build up and I don't think that should be. I tried the LED across pin one and it didn't fade in one case and in another it didn't light at all. I am not as experianced and surely not as knowledgable as most of your members but I do a fair bit of modding. Thanks for the help. I know you must be bored stiff. This has been gone over so many times on your forum. I have read and reread looking for something that someone else mentioned that I have neglected to do or check. I will build it one more time. There isn't anything left to do but that. I really thought the last time when it ran for about half an hour that I had done it. Oh well.
Dave

Post subject: crazy fader circuit
PostPosted: 23.03.2007 22:29 
Mini Modder
Mini Modder

:!: :?: :(

Post subject: crazy fader circuit
PostPosted: 25.03.2007 16:20 
Mini Modder
Mini Modder

Well Don't ask me how but the fifth one works. It is just the single but it is definitely a fading circuit. It takes about 23 seconds to make one complete cycle. Not just partial fade , but off, to on, to off again. Thanks
to everyone who helped me. I think it may just have been getting the power supply going and the 5volts. My other supplies are not regulated
and I had been trying with 12volts.
I will be hanging around anyway. I think I may learn a little more and who knows, I may even turn into a modder before its over.