Metku.net

MetkuMods
It is currently 30.03.2020 22:06

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Enclosed Bubbling Effect
PostPosted: 25.06.2002 01:28 
Hi, I dunno if you already anwsered this question already but would it be possible to completely seal the tank and put the air pump inside. The purpose being that you could have a closed system, so you don't have to keep filling the water up and would take up less space.

I'm considering using this idea for as an expansion chamber in my new water cooling system that I'm setting up. All the air will come here and be used for aesthetically pleasing purposes. :)

-=Cheez=-

Post subject:
PostPosted: 27.06.2002 15:13 
Site Admin
Site Admin

That could be done but the problem is that the pump uses AC voltage from wall socket so it doesn't like water that much. Maybe there are air pumps that could be installed under water?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28.06.2002 06:33 
Junior Modder
Junior Modder

True true, but would the water-short problem really be an issue if there was enough distance between the air pump and the water?

Otherwise I could try coming up with an interesting way of making some kind of screen or insolation for the air pump.

Actually one idea just came to me. :) It would be really easy to put the air pump in an open top box. You could bolt the box in place, submerge it a little and keep all the water from your precious AC voltage. This way the air can still get in through the top and no water can get in.

Of course it'd be a good thing to cut the box out of a sheet of metal and make sure it's leakproof before putting the pump in there. It'd really suck to have it short out on you.

It ain't easy being cheezey.

Post subject: It's possible....
PostPosted: 13.07.2002 22:14 
they do make Submergable pumps, most home water fountains have them, prevents from having to see the big ugly pump and taking away from the beauty of the water fountain.....trya hobby shop or something.....

just a thought

----|| DIHCE ||----

Post subject:
PostPosted: 14.07.2002 12:07 
all you gave to do is glue a straw to the bottom of the thing and blow into it whenever you have bubbles

Post subject:
PostPosted: 14.07.2002 12:08 
whenever you 'want' bubbles

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23.08.2002 04:13 
Junior Modder
Junior Modder

Umm, haven't you people ever seen a FISHTANK? A fishtank uses an underwater pump to pump out air, thats why you see bubbles in a fishtank, and a fisktank pump should be fine, maybe put it in the tank of water for ur cooling system, and like the internal pumps, plug it an and pump bubbles, otherwise mount it on top of the resevoir, and run a tube, like an R/C car antenna tube or a straw or something into the resevoir and/or tubeing, and should make bubbles, but don't that make that stuff that u make a bubble, then it doesn't pop, like goop stuff, the stuff u stick a straw in, blow up, then u can bounce it and toss it, and put beans inside it, why not make a few small ones of those and put it in ur resevoir?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22.09.2002 09:09 
All the airpumps for fishtanks that i have seeen have been outside the water. Anyways, if you get your standard aquarium pump and open it up, you might be able to make it so you can connect it's intake to a tube, then connect the intake tube to the top of your chamber and the output like was done in the mod

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11.11.2002 06:43 
Regular Modder
Regular Modder

I don't think I have ever seen a fully underwater unit that pumps air, so Gremlin I don't know what fishtanks you have been playing with, but I would love to see a pic if you have one, would make this mod much easier :) Most submersible pumps are created to pump water and its the contact between the pumped water and the surface of your aquarium that creates the bubbles. Like Jimbo said, all the units that pump air that I have seen are all kept outside of the body of water and pond/fountain pumps just pump water also.

Post subject: water pump
PostPosted: 28.12.2002 09:25 
my frestwater tank had a pump outside, underneath the water filter resevior like most tanks, but my saltwater tank had one that u submerged in a back chamber where it was filled with water and pumped out. submergable pumps cost more money obviously

secondly when u use fish tank pumps they are made for a certain amount of gallons usually 20 gallans at the least. i dont think that if u build a mod like that u'd have bubbles galore....but u can solve that problem by bottlenecking the hose to the tank

as for when you seal off the tank of water so u dont have to refill it is a bad idea... pumping in air to create bubbles will cuase it to blow up like a balloon. air can only compress sooo much before something gives. ither the pump or the case will go and im thinkin a water spill is the last thing a case component needs

but this idea has nice potential, for case cooling, motherboard cooling on the back side. adding live fish and making it part PC part fishtank is neat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28.12.2002 16:29 
Senior Modder
Senior Modder

you can seal off the tank i you re-use the air that's inside the tank. If your going to build one in a copmuter you better seal it off or you will have to refill it every now and then, and the think of the computer and the PSU if they get too much water on them when the water has vaporized

Post subject:
PostPosted: 29.12.2002 09:35 
Regular Modder
Regular Modder

No matter what you do, you still have to keep the pump out of the water. As Rauter said, I think if you just recycle the air, you shouldn't have a problem with air building up. And again, the pumps for fish tanks pump water, not air.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11.12.2003 03:21 
GrEmLiN wrote:
Umm, haven't you people ever seen a FISHTANK? A fishtank uses an underwater pump to pump out air, thats why you see bubbles in a fishtank, and a fisktank pump should be fine

I would use the pump in my fishtank, except it is about the size of my case and is external. It would be pure sex for a water cooling setup though. Its an Eheim Proffesional II and pumps 277 gallons per hour :D. Bit expensive though at around $600 australian

Post subject:
PostPosted: 31.05.2004 12:04 
gsand wrote:

I would use the pump in my fishtank, except it is about the size of my case and is external. It would be pure sex for a water cooling setup though. Its an Eheim Proffesional II and pumps 277 gallons per hour :D. Bit expensive though at around $600 australian

The only problem with that, is the eheim pro II is a canister filter, not just a pump.