MetkuMods
It is currently 28.05.2020 10:54

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: my icemouse
PostPosted: 01.07.2002 07:05 
Junior Modder
Junior Modder

Yet another blue firewheel....

Japala, thanks for the inspiration. It's a brilliant idea you had.

This guy began his life as a beige OEM Logitech optical mouse. His red LED was replaced with a Nichia blue LED (I love the color It gets through the smoked plastic bottom) and another Nichia ble LED was added for the wheel. I'm powering mine from two solder pads located right next to the cord connector. I detected what looked very much like a filter cap there right by the connector, and decided I could risk life without it. So it made a really handy set of pads for my LED to attach to. I will solder in a pin header on the next one I do (oh yes, there will be more).

The upper mouse shell was dyed black with Plasti-kote Ultra Vinyl Color. This now coordinates with the rest of my rig which is done in black with blue lighting.

Japala, love the new design and new mods, keep em coming bro.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01.07.2002 10:20 
Site Admin
Site Admin

hehe, always great to see you visit here. :) Good looking mouse you got there. Glad that you found my tutorial to be usefull. This is one of those little things that keeps me going. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01.07.2002 17:46 
Mini Modder
Mini Modder

Nice effect with a blue LED there Linear. I've always wanted to do that on my modded mouse but I don't have the tools to do that with a plexi, just like what was used in the article. I guess I'd have to do everything by hand. I'll try using a hand drill and maybe fix a file on a table. Anyway, can you elaborate more further on how the inner hole was done?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01.07.2002 17:57 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Just take the wheel to your hand and start carving it with Dremel and carving bit. Just mark at least the approximate size first so you can keep the circle centered and sized correctly. Just ask if you have any further questions.

Here's the bit that I used:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01.07.2002 18:56 
Mini Modder
Mini Modder

First off, I don't have a Dremel or any rotary tool of the same kind. All I have right now is a hand drill, some needle files, and an 8" file with a flat and round side. Can I just get some Dremel attachments such as the routing or the sanding bits and use them on my hand drill? I tried doing that with a mandrel and cut-off wheels to do my window but maybe with the slow speed of the hand drill, I use up 5 wheels for a one-inch cut and break off the screw of the mandril. Maybe the router and sanding bits won't be that much of a failure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01.07.2002 19:22 
Site Admin
Site Admin

With the hand drill you mean a regular drilling machine or something you have to crank? There is a picture of my drilling machine and yes, it can be used with dremel accessories. Just fasten the routing bit and start carving.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01.07.2002 20:08 
Mini Modder
Mini Modder

I guess I meant something like that. I'll try working on one as soon as I get a thick enough plexi. Thanks.

I don't have a manual hand drill so I can't see how it would do :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01.07.2002 20:24 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hand drill and manual hand drill etc. argh. :) English isn't my native language so I don't know all these terms and tools. Sorry, my mistake. :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01.07.2002 20:47 
Mini Modder
Mini Modder

Good thing you mentioned it because some people might think I'm weird trying to use a manual hand drill :D. Anyway, It is my fault since I referred it as a hand drill and forgot to think that there is such a thing as a manual hand drill.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01.07.2002 23:24 
Junior Modder
Junior Modder

I used very much the same bit that japala used.

With the good advice you're getting from him, I don't need to contribute. :D:D:D

Except to say, have patience and go slowly. Like japala, I held the wheel piece in my hand (risking my very life!) and dremeled away at the inside of it. I went pretty slowly so I didn't get it out of true too far. It starts to look like a wedding ring or something after a while. :D I wanted to try it on, but it was too small. :(

I like the Logitech optical *a lot* because I can snag power very conveniently. And I like the shape. And it was cheap. And I hate Micro$oft.

This one definitely tested my patience, but I have another one planned, with some real craziness this time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01.07.2002 23:33 
Mini Modder
Mini Modder

Did you guys round the hole big enough to make it fit snugly on the plastic inner wheel or did you glue it on?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01.07.2002 23:37 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I didn't need any glue. Just made it tight enough. And I tested that "ring" on my wife's finger. A bit thich for a ring but nice looking anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01.07.2002 23:39 
Mini Modder
Mini Modder

Hehe. I guess a fire ring won't be such a bad idea.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01.07.2002 23:44 
Junior Modder
Junior Modder

Again, ditto, I made my hole incrementally larger until I got a nice snug fit on the modded wheel hub. I actually took the wheel hub down as small as I felt I could safely go with it.

Mine fits so snug, I can't take it back apart.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30.10.2002 11:33 
Regular Modder
Regular Modder

to get the shape for the plexi scroll wheel, i took a 7mm (1/4 in bit will work)drill bit and drilled a hole in a 2x4. put the 2x4 on o flat surface. hold the drill so that the bit is parallel to the 2x4. lower the drill so that it makes kind of like a chanel in the wood that is 7mm wide and 3.5mm deep aprox.
make two more just like it. in the first one, super glue some 400 grit sand paper in the "chanel". in the second one, 600 grit, and inthe third, 1500 grit. let it dry. cut out a piece of either 6 or7mm plexi 30x30mm. drill a hle in the middle and super glue it the the tip of the drill bit (better have some debonder). hold your file flat on a table or something. turn the plexi at high speed and use the file to get the basic round shape. you should get it to be about a mm bigger than the final diameter you want the scroll wheel. once you are done with that, hold the drill so that your plexi wheel is perpendicular to the 2x4: _|_. sand it to get your final shape, first with the 400, then 600, and last with the 1500 grit sandpaper( the one in the 2x4s) the sanding shouldtake off the extra 1mm, and with a bit of polishing, you should have a scroll whell with a nice, round curve. i know it seems like alot, but its easier than it seens. hope this helps.