MetkuMods
It is currently 21.10.2019 03:35

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Voltage trouble
PostPosted: 18.08.2005 23:53 
Junior Modder
Junior Modder

Hello,

I'm trying to apply this mod to my MS Wirless IntelliMouse Explorer 2. (yes I know it will be a drain on the batteries so no need to remind me ;))

My problem is that Microsoft has made this mouse energy efficient. It uses two AA batteries but they seem to be connected in (parallel?) since all circuits and meassrments I'm doing end up with 1.5V. 1.5V is to little to light up the LED I'm using (even though it's a red one) the nominal value for those should be around 2 so go figure...

Anyway, is there a way I could make this work? Can I connect the led to the batteries in serial without ruining the circuitry for the mouse? Or are there any other way than installing separate button-batteries to power the LED?

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20.08.2005 16:55 
Junior Modder
Junior Modder

noone?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20.08.2005 17:05 
Site Admin
Site Admin

hmm.... You can connect the batteries in series inside the mouse but then only one of the batteries would supply power for the mouse. In my opinion the separate batteries/battery is the only plausible way to go here... or to find more efficient led that needs less voltage. Led on the bottom of the mouse works only with 1.5 volts? There can be a dc-dc function on the circuit board that boosts the voltage up and runs the led with higher voltage pulses. Should be easily noticable with an oscilloscope if you have one. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20.08.2005 17:10 
Junior Modder
Junior Modder

OK, it seems I'm stuck with the separate batteries then.. but I will make an attempt to meassure at the intergrated LED, one of the places i forgot to meassure at. Thanks for the suggestion. If I do this i will most likely have to add some kind of on/off switch for it also... the best looking would be the ame kind of small button used for the "scan" on wirless keyboards and mice. does anyone know where those can be found?

Thanks japala! =)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20.08.2005 18:31 
Junior Modder
Junior Modder

Well the LED actaully only had a voltage of 0.3 when the mouse was moved... so I assume they wern't feeding it with much more than that (cant figure out how to get the circuit boad loose to retrace the wires). However I meassured at a few other palces and found a slot where nothing was solderd (MS reusing circuit boards?) and that actaully gives a reading of 3.2V! So that's what I'll be hooking up to (with a resistor ofcourse).

Now I only need to get myself a small switch and I'm set =)