Metku.net

MetkuMods
It is currently 28.05.2020 15:34

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: HP optical mouse
PostPosted: 20.11.2002 14:54 
Junior Modder
Junior Modder

i have HP optical mouse, it has a red light, i would like to add another light to it, say the blue light, does anybody know how to do it?

and is there any difference (in volatge) between the red light and the blue light ?

thanks in advance

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20.11.2002 15:38 
Veteran Modder
Veteran Modder

well i figured that jpala told how to do that fairly well so just incase you missed that..http://www.metku.net/index.html?sect=view&n=1&path=mods/logomouse/index_eng
and there is usually a difference between the lights...most blue leds are about 3.7V and the red is between 1.6 and 2.1...so if you mouse is wireless then i dont recommend using a blue led due to dimness

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20.11.2002 20:34 
i saw that, thanks meryan00, but i don't know where i can get the resistor and the blue light from
My mouse spec.
5V
70 mA
HP

anybody can help me please

thanks in advance

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22.11.2002 15:49 
Veteran Modder
Veteran Modder

i dont really know what country you live in but if you check the shops link on the home page here then look for any stores near you...http://www.metku.net/index.html?sect=shops

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22.11.2002 21:00 
Regular Modder
Regular Modder

Most blue LEDs are between 3 and 5v... and 20mA to 30mA.

The only problem with taking out the old red one... is that the blue led won't dim like the red one does... other than that... just make sure that the blue LED that you use is enough mcd, or your mouse may have trouble reading the surface it is trying to see...

Good luck and show us the result!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23.11.2002 21:39 
Veteran Modder
Veteran Modder

i doubt that a blue led would work at all due to the power consuption...and it doenst put off enought IR...i switched out my red led for a Ir led and the performance of my mouse increased...so i tried a green 1800mcd led and that one didnt work at all...so blue would be harder

Post subject:
PostPosted: 24.11.2002 04:31 
Regular Modder
Regular Modder

http://www.taconuts.org/articles/2000/dec/3/page1.php
My thoughts on this:
Red is the closest visible color to IR. Remember the old saying ROYGBIV from school. IR is above red and UV is below violet. So you see blue is at the other end of the spectrum. If you read the above article and responses you will see there are some response problems. I would suggest adding a blue somewhere else on your mouse instead of replacing, but If you do try it, use the brightest blue you can find and an IR LED which would hopefully take away any performance problems :idea: meryan00 if you already have the IR LED maybe you can try this for us :D I know you were looking for some originality in your mods, how about it, it's original in that noone has tried an IR-blue LED pairing. I will even share the credit with you 50/50 :mrgreen: :wink: If it doens't work for you Lebanese, then just switch them back. Use this handy LED calculator from bit-tech to find the resistor you will need. http://www.bit-tech.net/article/68/ You already know your mouse is 5v, so just plug in that, your blue LED voltage and its mA rating. For example using using the info from Jared lets use one 3v 20mA blue LED. Pop that info in the calculator and it tells you that you need a 100ohm resistor. If you are new to electronics then read japala's article here http://www.metku.net/index.html?sect=vi ... /index_eng . This will give you a great start on what you need to know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 24.11.2002 05:17 
Regular Modder
Regular Modder

They make mice with blue LEDs already in them when you buy them... the must have an extremely high mcd... or they have an IR LED with them...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 24.11.2002 11:09 
Regular Modder
Regular Modder

JaredC01 wrote:
They make mice with blue LEDs already in them when you buy them... the must have an extremely high mcd... or they have an IR LED with them...

If you find one send a link because I have never seen one offered with a blue optical reader. I have seen some that have a blue LED in them, but still has a red reader LED. This would make for a cool mod though and yeah I would go for a high mcd and a pairing of either one blue one IR, or two blue's or even add a blue to the red and try and get a purple color in the mix.