Metku.net

MetkuMods
It is currently 13.12.2019 19:53

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 11.01.2003 01:42 
Just finished modding my mouse! Modding time took about five to six hours total. Most of that was learning the best ways to bend and mould the plastic to the contour of my mouse. First of all I used some scrap plexi from Home Depot that was originally used for my case window.
First off I had a limited number of tools at my disposal. Most of this mod was completed in the middle of the night while I was of shift in a comm bunker (yes, Im in the military, yes I have a security clearance, and yes, I know about stuff that isnt on CNN). Anyway, I discovered that the plexi can become very pliable when grasped by a pair of pliers and held in a toaster over (I wedged a key into the door frame to keep the toaster over on). As the plexi heats it will start to bend and droop down, LET THIS HAPPEN!; Wait a few seconds longer after you notice its bending, then quickly remove from oven and place over the area of the mouse that you want you window in.
Now before you go bending the plexi, prepare the mouse and get heat shield for your hand (all will be explained young grasshopper). Because my window was low on my mouse I placed it on top of a roll of inch wide masking tape . Place the end of the mouse a few millimeters OVER the edge of the tape and tape down securely. Now you will be able to press your plexi onto the mouse without having it move or having to hold it down. Now to construct you heat shield for your hand, I used a big half a sheet of newspaper folded over many times till it was the size of my hand. Get some aluminum foil and fold it over a few times in the same fashion as the news paper, try not to make it too thick, fold until you have four layers of foil. Now place the foil in between the folds of the newspaper, PRESTO, instant hand heat shield!
Take your newly created heat shield and put it on top of you mouse and hold the mouse in you hand, were trying to get the aluminum foil and newspaper to conform to the contours of the mouse before we go melting plexi. Once that is good and done, start melting your plexi, when it is ready (droops really low and will flop around like a thick piece of paper), place it on you mouse, drop the pliers, grab you heat shield and press firmly with YOUR WHOLE HAND for 15 to 20 seconds. Make sure that you press down on all the edges of the plexi to get it to conform to the mouse.
If you think your molding skills are satisfactory, draw out your window and start cutting, if not, repeat the melting and try again. Do it carefully and your efforts will pay off, it took me five or six times to get the movements down and get a good mould of my mouse.
If your wondering what the I used to get such awesome ice effects, use Krazy Glue. It goes on clear and dries with a white tint to it. Its much better that sanding the outside of the window.

http://68.86.7.71/P1100029.JPG
http://68.86.7.71/P1100030.JPG

Have Fun!!! 8)

LC

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11.01.2003 02:12 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Nice to see that someone is willing to write a proper story about his mod. Modgallery is full of these post with little or no text at all but you made a real difference. Thanks. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 13.01.2003 02:17 
Veteran Modder
Veteran Modder

wow...that is a long'un but it is very explanatory...nice

PostPosted: 26.01.2010 04:26 
Junior Modder
Junior Modder

When I read your article, I got the outline view of your work. Designing your own mouse would really fun. I am very interested to see your finished product but unfortunately the link doesn't work, I don't know why.

PostPosted: 26.01.2010 14:24 
Regular Modder
Regular Modder

I have a feeling that age of Lord Comage's post might be reason. Seven years is quite long time.