Metku.net

MetkuMods
It is currently 14.10.2019 16:34

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Need Help with LED
PostPosted: 05.06.2003 02:39 
Junior Modder
Junior Modder

This I see is becoming the most common of the problems with this mod. I can't figure out where to Solder the LED. I think someone said 5v power supply or something... umm k I have no idea where or even what it looks like. First off I think it should say upfront I don't have a microsoft intelli mouse, I have a logitech optical. Its USB if that helps at all, I have a picture of it but nowhere to host it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05.06.2003 02:44 
Junior Modder
Junior Modder

Oh also, by doing this is there anyway I could be harming my computer since the mouse is draining more power. I think the answer is no but the guy at the computer store said it might. Also, will the silver foil short anything out if it touches it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05.06.2003 03:15 
Junior Modder
Junior Modder

ok I am guessing (just a guess) the thing you are callin a PS2 is that little box thing. When I touched the led to the white and brown it lit up, when I touched it to the red and brown it lit up ALOT brighter... then exlpoded. So now I need a new LED but does this mean I should solder the LED to that little white box with the white and brown wire?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05.06.2003 09:30 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thin black and red are the corrent wires in this mouse but the colors have no standard so... Anyway, was that led of your a 5 volt led? Because it "exploded" it seems that it wasn't. You should check my basic electricity and led calculator articles so that you know what kind of resistor to use in series with that led. By using a led without properly calculated current limiting resistor the led will heat up and get busted.

http://metku.net/index.html?sect=view&n ... /index_eng
http://metku.net/index.html?sect=view&n ... /index_eng

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06.06.2003 02:24 
Junior Modder
Junior Modder

I am thinking the problem was that.. I didn't have a resistor at all. However this time I bought a LED which at 6 volts should use a 220 ohm resistor. So I bought a 220 ohm resistor (even though I know this is only a 5v source, I couldn't find anything lower that wasn't too low) and I figured if anything the brightness will suffer. But I dun need to brite anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06.06.2003 02:25 
Junior Modder
Junior Modder

now my only problem is how the hell am I gonna solder something this small witout melting the wire casing. (the PS2 wire casing)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06.06.2003 02:25 
Junior Modder
Junior Modder

Oh and again, will the silver foil short anthing out. like if it touches my makeshift circuit will it short it out?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06.06.2003 08:43 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I think that it will short out but you can prevent this in many ways. For example I glued that foil on top of a regular sheet of xerox paper and then cut it to size I wanted. This way it will be safer. For maximum safety you could use for example transparent, self adhesive bookcover to laminate that foil so it will not touch any electronic parts.