Metku.net

MetkuMods
It is currently 21.10.2019 10:53

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 20.07.2003 03:50 
So, i thought i would led-mod you mouse, and get rid if that ugly red led and stick a nice blue on there instead(thats why its off-topic, so admins may move it if they want). So i went out ant bought myself 5 leds(since i was thinking of doing the same thing to the keyboard).
So, i started reading some more tutorials on the ledmod, only to find out that optical mouses usually uses 3,7v for their leds, while i have bought 5v leds.
Is there any "workaround" for this, i.e. using some resistors(wich would be kind of difficult since it is to be soldered on to the printboard where the old led was, but thats a problem i will have to deal with later), or can i just solder it directly on to the board, and get a lower brightness than whats normal?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20.07.2003 20:41 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Take the power for the led from the USB/ps2 cable. It gives 5 volts to your led. Just rip that old led out and forget about the solder points that it used. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20.07.2003 22:17 
Actually i was thinking of doing that ofter reading around the forum.
So i can just cut the pins of the old led of using a plier(i guess thats what it's called), and then using some sort of wire to connect the new led to the ps2 connection? sounds like a plan to me :D
Thanks man, and as said so many times before on this forum, YOUR THE MAN!

PS: Go scandinavia!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21.07.2003 04:18 
So, i ripped out my multimeter trying to find the combination giving me 5v, and to my surprise i found atleast 3 combinations on the 5v that would give me 5v. But being so inexperienced with the multimeter that i am, i haven't yet figured out how to get a ampere reading...any hints? And will the 3(or more) combinations give a different amount of ampere, and if so, how much would this be? the leds i am using now is 8,4mA, rated at 8000mcd!
This is the lazerled from sunbeam you have tested, but then in a metalbox with 3 of them together. Theese are sold one and one...should be pretty nice when i fix it into my mouse...

Thanks for the help so far... 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 24.07.2003 10:12 
Site Admin
Site Admin

You can't measure amperes that easily and because ps2 port can supply 500mA it is more than enough for the led and you should not worry about it. The reason that you found three combinations is that ps2 port have +5, data and clock pins (and ground). All these pins combined with ground will give 5 volt reading on multimeter. Some of them might even light up the led but rest of the mouse would not work. This all comes down to digital signals and the speed of the multimeter. It can't register the fast changing voltage levels of digital lines so you just have to find the correct +5 volt line. Maybe the colors of the lines tells you what it is?

From one mouse:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 25.07.2003 22:35 
Ok, so i opened my mouse again to try to figure out wich wires were + and -, bout found out that my mouse only has 4 wires going into it, not 5 like in your picture. I figured that the easiest way would be to just try the different combinations, and just like you said, all 3 combinations made it glow, but only one combination would let the mouse still work. So for now it seems like its the to wires on the sides, farthest from eachother.
My only "problem" now, not actually a problem, but anoying non the less, is that i no longer will get the dim-function on the light, it will always light on full power, not like the old led.
But now i can just use a pair of pliers to cut the legs of the old led of, and then stick the new led in the old ones place, and just stretch a wire from the ps2-connector to the legs of the new led? What wires should i use? or can a use any thin wire? Thanks for the great help so far...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 26.07.2003 03:28 
Ultra Modder
Ultra Modder

you can use any size wire, even those really thin wires that are used for the ide cables nowadays.im sure that even one copper wire would work, but i wouldnt suggest it. lol. anything from an ide wire to a molex wire will work, but the smaller the wire, the better for what ur trying to do.

Xxcr4shxX: w/e
Crash2108: we?
Xxcr4shxX: what ever
Crash2108: no, tell me what w/e is first