Metku.net

MetkuMods
It is currently 15.09.2019 23:42

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: IntelliMouse Explorer
PostPosted: 08.07.2002 06:33 
Hello, I use an IntelliMouse Explorer, a model with 2 buttons on the left using an optical sensor. The end of the mouse is pretty similar to the one shown in your demo. I was wondering how to open it since there are no screws and that I really don't want to break anything... Thanks for the help!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08.07.2002 10:44 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I think it uses the same system as my wheel mouse optical. Just take those pads off under the mouse and you'll find the screws there.

Post subject: New problem...
PostPosted: 08.07.2002 21:38 
Have a look at the those pictures and tell me if there's anything I can do with that mouse... http://groups.msn.com/IntelliMouseExplorer/shoebox.msnw
thank you once again!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08.07.2002 21:42 
Site Admin
Site Admin

You just have to figure out how to cut that supprt for the top mouse buttons and then attach them back. Only way to make more room for the window...

Post subject: that's wierd
PostPosted: 19.07.2002 18:05 
Junior Modder
Junior Modder

that's wierd, i started to try and modify a "wheel mouse optical" (the cheapest microsoft optical) which looks identical to the mouse above on the outside but when i got it opened up not a single thing looked the same. main problem is that the big chip that you usually take the led off of wasn't there. Accidenlty damaged the board on my first try, going to grab a second one and try again (don't want to feel like i wasted all that time on the cover of it)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19.07.2002 19:14 
Site Admin
Site Admin

You just have to find another place to get that power. Best place would be directly from those pins that attach the cord to the mouse.

Post subject: Japala's right
PostPosted: 19.07.2002 21:27 
I'm just finishing this mod on my Intellimouse Explorer (small white/silver one with 2 side buttons and a wheel). For the LED I grabbed power straight off the motherboard->mouse block connector. The red and black leads going into the block are +5v and GND, so I just jumped those with some 24ga solid copper wire and ran the LED to exactly where I wanted. I was also able to cut away a good portion of the plastic button retention system without having to glue anything back in.

As soon as I finish the bezel on top, I'll post some pix.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19.07.2002 23:17 
Junior Modder
Junior Modder

well me and my bro tried to take it from the plug that went into the mouse but the sodering iron started to melt the clip, and then from underneath the plug but the soder pulled the connection of the bottom and destroyed the board.

Actually i was looking at those pics from above and i might be able to pick up an intelli mouse and replace my cover with it's for ease of use

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20.07.2002 07:28 
I didn't solder the wires into the connector. If you use thin solid wire you can simply wedge them into the block in the holes where the existing wires are already plugged in. Then just wrap it around the main mouse cable once and its secure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 31.07.2002 07:25 
Junior Modder
Junior Modder

I'm new to all this and am trying to learn. I have the same mouse as above (basic Microsoft optical) and was able to open it an view the contents with no problem. My question is, if anyone can help me, since there is an LED already in this mouse, what would be the best LED to place in if I wanted to add 2 more Reds, one on the back left and back right to make it glow brighter red? Is it possible since there is only 5 volts going through and the preinstalled LED is already soacking up all those 5 volts?
Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 31.07.2002 10:13 
Site Admin
Site Admin

That red led don't have 5 volts. Only about 2 volts so you can't use it. To connect those two new red leds I would suggest you connect them in series and then hook up the wires to that connector that connects the mouse cord to the mouse. There you can find 5 wires and one is 5 volts and one is ground. Made a little picture so you'll get the idea. Placement might not be the same or correct but you can figure it out.

Code:

red (+5) ---------------------------|
                                    |
(clock?)                            |
                                    |
(data?)                             |
                                    |
Black (gnd) -------|                |
                   |                |
Thick black---|    |                |
(shieldin)    V    V                V

---U----U----U----U----U---
            |                          |
            |                          |

Post subject:
PostPosted: 31.07.2002 15:20 
Junior Modder
Junior Modder

So it is not possible to attach 2 more 1 volt red LED's in a chain to the one preinstalled? If the preinstalled LED is 2 volts and you add 2 more 1 volts in a chain, could you not add a resistor to make up the difference so that there would be a total of 3 red LED's at 4 volts? If this is possible, I could have a really bright optical mouse to illuminate through the clear plastic at the bottom of the mouse. That is what I am shooting for, 1 in the middle (preinstalled LED) and 1 on each side to, pretty much, illuminate the entire clear plastic under-cover.
I'm basically trying to copy the glow pad idea of chaining all the LED that you did but add a 3rd LED.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 31.07.2002 15:47 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Easiest way is to make those two additional leds totally independent from that preinstalled led. If you really have 1 volt red leds that I doubt you could connect them to each other in series and then connect this in parallel to that preinstalled led so this way all the leds would get the correct voltage. But like I said it's easier to forget that preinstalled led and use separate wires coming from the mouse cord connector or some other place.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 31.07.2002 16:20 
Junior Modder
Junior Modder

Okay. I think I understand now. So chain the 2 new LED's from a different 5 volt power source separate from the preinstalled LED. I'll try it.
Thanks a lot japala, you ROCK!