Metku.net

MetkuMods
It is currently 23.09.2018 02:07

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Problem NOT ANY MORE
PostPosted: 09.04.2005 19:48 
Mini Modder
Mini Modder

Problem. My computer doesn't recognize my ps/2 mouse after i connected a led to it.
This isn't a linear connection, is it?
What's wrong, what should i do?
I'm desperate.....actually not.. :roll:

Last edited by Luury on 12.04.2005 19:23, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09.04.2005 21:17 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I believe you are taking power from wrong wires. If you connect the led to a data wire, the led will shine but the data going through that wire will not be valid. What are the colors of the wires on that ps2 cord and what wires you used?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09.04.2005 23:21 
Mini Modder
Mini Modder

yellow ; white ; blue ; green ; red ; brown

I used white and red because somewhere in this forum i read that wires nr 3 and 4 are the power.. and in the picture there was 2nd wireas from both side and i tested and the LED worked so i didn't expect nothing else to happen. I don't have the tester so i cant 'test' which wires are correct ones.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09.04.2005 23:24 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Six wires... and you are sure this is PS2 and not serial mouse?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 10.04.2005 07:36 
Regular Modder
Regular Modder

Location: California CPU: AMD 700Mhz RAM: 512 Megs HDD: 50 gigabytes GFX: ???????? Monitor: 14" CRT
maybe two of the wires are "dead"...

try tracing the underside of the mouse chip to a capacitor or something polarized... then you should at least find the ground... and from there you'll probebly be able to find the positive 5V...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 10.04.2005 10:03 
Mini Modder
Mini Modder

I belive it's the ps2. But what's the difference between PS/2 mouse and a serial mouse? I think i just connect the mouse to the computer and start testing. If the led shines and mouse works, i've found coürrect wires.

p.s.it's not an optical mouse.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 10.04.2005 10:32 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yes, you can do this kind of testing to see what wires are correct ones. There is no danger of short circuit and the led should survive the wrong polarity of 5 volts for short period of time.

guitarockerk suggested that you find a capacitor on that circuit board and follow the wires on the board to the ps2 cord. This way you can quite easily find on the + and - wires.

In this image the black cylinder with silvery top is a capacitor. I know that the left side of it is negative (-) side because in the picture one can see a gray strip going along side of the cap and it contains a row of - marks. In this case the blue is + and green -. Led is connected in parallel to a component that is located between these + and - sides.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 10.04.2005 11:12 
Mini Modder
Mini Modder

I don't know why but it looks like i've always known that 2 middle ones(blue and green) are the right ones. Gonna try and if works, i'll let you know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 10.04.2005 12:30 
Mini Modder
Mini Modder

shiiiiiiiiiiiiitttt blue and green didn't do anything, but brown and yellow made a LED shine but it was so not-bright. I tryed without a resistor and it was the same. So i tryed with red and white again. With the resistor it shined normal/bright but without resistor i burnt my LED(wohoo i bought 2, just in case). I don't know why i tryed it without the resistor.
And i couldn't figure your(Japala) picture out and didn't understand ANYTHING about
Japala wrote:
find a capacitor on that circuit board and follow the wires on the board to the ps2 cord. This way you can quite easily find on the + and - wires.

In this image the black cylinder with silvery top is a capacitor. I know that the left side of it is negative (-) side because in the picture one can see a gray strip going along side of the cap and it contains a row of - marks. In this case the blue is + and green -. Led is connected in parallel to a component that is located between these + and - sides.

Do i need to isolate the wrong wires because smth started to smoke when i tested it and i belive 2 wires were connected.

btw.. here's the picture.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11.04.2005 16:22 
Mini Modder
Mini Modder

OK i found a capacitor and tryed and it worked, LED shone. But i coulnd'nt trace it to the wires. Got lost somewhere in the middle for about 10 times.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11.04.2005 16:41 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Connect the led/wires to the same solder points that the capacitor uses. No need to trace back to the cord...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11.04.2005 18:53 
Mini Modder
Mini Modder

This should be a linear connection..right? Ii'll try but the inside of my mouse is a real mess when i finish with it. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12.04.2005 19:25 
Mini Modder
Mini Modder

Well, guess what..it's not a linear connection!! And it worked, the LED and the mouse. thaaaaaaaaaaaank yoooooooouu. Tomorrow i can cut the plexi at the right size and soon i'll finish this.
p.s.It's gonna be yellow light instead of blue. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16.04.2005 09:12 
Mini Modder
Mini Modder

guitarockerk wrote:
maybe two of the wires are "dead"...

yup. I found this.

a link what Olli gave wrote:
The PS/2 mouse connector has the following pinout when looking at the connector on the back of the computer:

6 Pin PS2

1 DATA
2 No connection
3 GND
4 +5V
5 CLK
6 No connection