Metku.net

MetkuMods
It is currently 15.10.2019 14:36

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: DPTD switches and LEDs
PostPosted: 03.08.2006 23:44 
Junior Modder
Junior Modder

Hi again... i got some DPDT switches and wondered how to wire it up to control 2 sets of LEDs.... i have wired it up to control 1 set of LEDs ... i wondered how to wire it so i can have Set one of Leds on - Off - Set 2 of LEDs on

PostPosted: 21.09.2008 18:26 
Regular Modder
Regular Modder

Yes I see that this was a while ago (like most of my post's I DO a bit of reading and searching here first before asking) but I still have not found any kind of diagram or drawing or even a schematic to show how to wire a DPDT up. Does anyone know a good resource that I can look to find out how to do this. ( Connect a DPDT with a motor so i can just press ONE button to make it go forward and then switch it to make it go in reverse.

Thank You All,

Dan

PostPosted: 21.09.2008 20:45 
Regular Modder
Regular Modder

There are six connection pads (ok they might not be called "connection pads"...anyway)
Pads are like this:

+ - (wires to the motor)
+ - (wires to the battery, power supply etc)
- + (wires to the motor)

If you connect switch that way, on one position motor will turn cw and on other position it will turn ccw ( and on center position it won't turn, if your swich is on-off-on switch)

PostPosted: 28.09.2008 18:26 
Regular Modder
Regular Modder

THANK YOU for your reply. I am glad to say that I DID actually understand what you said, and you diagram DID help as well.

When i opened the bag (new just been in the box for 5 months) they were ALL RUSTED??? I just did not understand so I contacted the seller. They in turn sent me (no cost) these switches.

http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/SSW-50/2-POLE-3-POSITION-SLIDE-SWITCH/1.html
and I can tell you now, I HAVE NO IDEA of what all the pins are there for. If you look at the image of them on their page, you will see 100% FOR SURE what I am talking about.

If you can tell e a bit about them I would be grateful, as well as if there is a way to figure it out for future purpose PLEASE clue me in on that as well. (I understand the the trial and error way, but I again have no idea of the methodology on how to even start this process...

Thanks Again,

Dan

PostPosted: 28.09.2008 20:02 
Regular Modder
Regular Modder

Hmm ok, I've got no idea how that switch works... You have multimeter, right? Check resistance between pins (in this case, resistance will be couple of ohms or less, or there won't be connection and your meter shows infinite resistance). For example most left and second from left. Then slide the switch to another position... Does it affect?

One way to figure out how that works, is to draw three pics of those pads (three positions -> three pics, one of each positions). Then just draw lines between pads that are connected each other and this way figure out wich pads are connected in wich position. It takes time, but if you can't get info anywhere, that might be only way to figure it out.