Metku.net

MetkuMods
It is currently 15.12.2017 15:05

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 27.02.2011 13:41 
Junior Modder
Junior Modder

Hey, Japala, thanks for your answer... yeah, I've also seen this page, but didn't help too much as it's not clear for me where the composite signal is fed into the boards... I assumed that leaving the original connector would be enough to fed trough it the signal, but it's not working for me. At the pics of Aki's mod, there are a pair of wires that I cannot see where they are soldered, and it's not clear their function. One is the red that in my pcb is connecting a PIC pin to "PAL/NTSC" selection. The another is a grey wire that seems to send the composite signal to the out-of-pcb connectors that Aki puts in the back of the box, but I'm not completely sure as its pictures don't show it clear... That grey wire seems to go to another Pic pin, not to the "on board" composite connector...
It may help knowing how is he conmuting the selection of both RCA, I assume it is for two composite inputs... I tried bridging the selection switch to gnd/5v, but no luck!
I'm starting to think that I broke/fused something by error, I've been very carefully though... There's not so much things to break, though!

PostPosted: 27.02.2011 18:25 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I took some photos for you from my own board:

http://metku.net/images/disp1.jpg
Here is the underside of the board. Nothing special here. That red wire was there when I bought the unit. There could be some wires joined to each others where that white flat cable connects to the PCB. Compare that to your own unit to see if I have done anything there...

http://metku.net/images/disp2.jpg
That black wire replaces the power switch. I can't remember why I soldered those surface mounted resistors there but if I'm correct, these are to select the right input etc.

http://metku.net/images/disp3.jpg
These are the two wires that I have modded to carry to signal and power to one PCB to another. This is all that was needed.

Did these help you at all?

PostPosted: 02.03.2011 13:40 
Junior Modder
Junior Modder

Hi again Japala, and again thanks for your superfast and valuable help!
I've carefully checked your pictures, but I'll have to review my board, as It seems of "another" batch. For instance, it doesn't have the red cable that it's shown in your images, the one that gets connected the PIC microcontroller in the smaller pcb and the down-right pin in the bigger PCB. I've also put the surface-mount resistors, as it is explained in the Aki's blog, that is the same step you show in your pictures. I'm starting to think that I fused something, but I was very carefull not to break something. Perhaps I will solder again the original slider pot, the brightness one... I have to take some time during next weekend to try it... I have even tried connecting the RGB wires (the ones that are cut-out from the original input connector) to a DVD Scart pins, but nothing happened (some danzling lines, but no image)... Perhaps I try to get another Joytech and try to re-do the hack... ffff...

PostPosted: 02.03.2011 23:59 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I believe I have two more of these units that I haven't yet modded. Gotta do them some day and try to find a use for them. Just had to buy several of them as they were so cheap :)

Good luck for your efforts on this and hopefully you'll keep us posted on your progress.