Metku.net

MetkuMods
It is currently 21.10.2019 00:58

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 4 Motors
PostPosted: 03.02.2008 12:24 
Regular Modder
Regular Modder

I have 4 motors that normally run on 1.5 vdc. I have tested each one to make sure that they work, and they do.

I have them all working in the video off of a 1.5 D battery. When I connect them all to a 6v power source (4 AA batteries) they do not work. I have done this in Parallel (I think) in the video, but I have also done this in series, and still nothing...

Does anyone see what I am doing wrong.

Thanks,

Dan

[url]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02EjDq5knm8[/url]

Code:
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/02EjDq5knm8&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/02EjDq5knm8&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Post subject:
PostPosted: 03.02.2008 12:48 
Regular Modder
Regular Modder

Code:

(+)                         6v powersource                      (-)
    |                                                                |
    |                                                                |
   (+)        (-)-----(+)         (-)---(+)      (-)-----(+)      (-)
        Motor               Motor            Motor             Motor

It should work if you connect them like in my "picture"....

Post subject: I don't get it...
PostPosted: 03.02.2008 21:20 
Regular Modder
Regular Modder

Thank You for your response to my puzzling problem. I am not sure HOW or why it would make a differance but this is what has happened so far.

After seeing your "picture" I was for sure that I tried to do exactly what you had showed me. But I did it again, and I still got the same effect, nothing. I did notice when checking out the motors that they were not all turning the same direction when I tested the one by one. So I put the ones turning clockwise on one side and the ones turning counter clockwise on the other.

It made me think I was going crazy, because after I checked them I ended up having to RE-Check them AGAIN and AGAIN till I realized that #1 I should not have been drinking, Grin..., and #2 that the motors can go EITHER DIRECTION when powered up.

It freaked me out, but when they are powered up, there is SOMETHING inside them to make them choose clockwise or counter clockwise. I have no idea of what it is, but I 100% intend to open one up and see for myself.

I am not saying that I would know if I were to see it, but with all the trouble they have caused me, one of them will forfeit it's guts for my curiosity. Grin... I will of course post an image or two when I do this.

Thank You Again for your reply, and get ready for the images sometime within the next day or so...

Dan

PostPosted: 04.02.2008 07:32 
Regular Modder
Regular Modder

I have NEVER seen a motor like this before. I kinda get the principles of it with the magnet
and copper coil and all, but it still freaked me out when I opened it up. (Needless to
say I will not be putting it back together again... Grin)

Anyway, I see the the two resistors, one Ceramic Disc Capacitor, and the two
Radial Capacitors (I think), but I have NO IDEA of what those other two black things
are and what they are used for.

Any Ideas ???

And this is going to sound odd and all, but what really is the difference between a
Ceramic Disc Capacitor, or a Radial Capacitor, or a Electrolytic Capacitor. I thought
ALL Caps did the exact same thing?

Dan

BTW - I know the images are large because I like to see 100% what there is actually
going on, but if they are to large just let me know.

What are these two black things that have a flat side, and what do they do.
Anyone ???

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04.02.2008 09:39 
Veteran Modder
Veteran Modder

Location: Valkeakoski, Finland CPU: E8400 RAM: 8192Mb HDD: 1020Gb GPU: nV8800GT
Quote:
Anyone ???

http://www.datasheetcatalog.com/datashe ... 9014.shtml

Modaus: Mittaa kahdesti, leikkaa vain kerran.
Sähkötyöt: Väri väriin ja loput kannen väliin.
Suunnittelu: Hyvä arvaus on puoli suunnitelmaa.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04.02.2008 16:11 
Regular Modder
Regular Modder

Errtu wrote:
Quote:
Anyone ???

http://www.datasheetcatalog.com/datashe ... 9014.shtml

Thank You Errutu, for your reply. I am not 100% what a NPN Silicon Transistor is, but I DO see where it states that the General Purpose application is a Switching application, So does this means that I was right when I said that the motors "decide" each time they are turned on what direction they go, is that correct???

I got that from the Data sheet from AUK Corp, the other data sheet was WAYYYY over my head. it did not have any "small words" Grin, for me to understand...

Dan

EDIT :

OK so I of course Googled this to find out more, and I was SOOOO wrong. From how I understand it now, a NPN transistor is something that allows current to flow in only one direction Or as it is put on the site
http://www.williamson-labs.com/480_xtor.htm
"active in only One Direction"...

Dam Dam Dam... On this site
http://www.physlink.com/Education/AskExperts/ae430.cfm
it DOES say that it is a switch. And it goes into detail (somewhat) of how and what happens, so I am thinking that this is more understandable and the two that are in the motor units that I have ARE a switch.

Any Comments??? Grin...

Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05.02.2008 08:38 
Veteran Modder
Veteran Modder

Location: Valkeakoski, Finland CPU: E8400 RAM: 8192Mb HDD: 1020Gb GPU: nV8800GT
Transistor is electronic switch combined with diode.

Diode part takes sure that voltage goes just in one direction. NPN case it goes Collector to Emiter.

Switch is on when you put voltage (normaly 0.6 - 0.7V) to the Base.

To make your emotor to turn different directions, you'll need 4 (?) switches, 'cos you'll need to change negative to positive and vice versa.

Modaus: Mittaa kahdesti, leikkaa vain kerran.
Sähkötyöt: Väri väriin ja loput kannen väliin.
Suunnittelu: Hyvä arvaus on puoli suunnitelmaa.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06.04.2008 10:26 
Junior Modder
Junior Modder

The circuit is a pulse generator. Once a second the push pull transistor arrangement (flip-flop) is triggered by the RC loop which fires through the coil. When the cap discharges throught the coil the flip-flop returns to it's normal state and the cap recharges. And it starts all over again.
It won't work on six volts because the timing is thrown off. The RC loop was designed to assume a certain amount of milliamps @ 1.5 volts, as the power source.
You can get simple voltage regulator chips from an electronics part store like a Radio Shack.
That's out of a battery operated clock drive. It's primative for a reason. To be cheap to produce. And being primative, it's reliable.

For those who like anime.