Metku.net

MetkuMods
It is currently 21.11.2018 13:36

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 07.02.2008 09:08 
Ultra Modder
Ultra Modder

im looking into fabricating this on my own. i would basically be making 4 spearate bars, 2 would be 24" and 2 would be 32". basically putting one led every inch on it. is there anything else i would need to wire this up, other than the leds, and resistors??? im also looking into throwing this into the works for it.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Logisys-RM02-12V-15 ... dZViewItem

would a cars battery provide too many amps for this?? i would be afraid of frying it. the car battery i have is just a basic battery, nothing special about it.

Xxcr4shxX: w/e
Crash2108: we?
Xxcr4shxX: what ever
Crash2108: no, tell me what w/e is first

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07.02.2008 15:23 
Mini Modder
Mini Modder

You will only fry it if you limit the current with too little resistance.

In practice that won't be easy, because you would have to put all the leds in paraller, and that amount of leds will draw so much current so that your resistor will have to be quite robust.

You can calculate the resistor for about 15V, because that's what the voltage is when the engine is running. If you calculate it with 12V you end up most probably frying it.

I can't see that there would be anything else to know. Just make shure that you have large enough resistors so that they won't burn when overheated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07.02.2008 16:54 
Ultra Modder
Ultra Modder

aight, so wiring 24 leds in parallel, from a 15V source, dropping 3.4v per led, with 100mA, the resistance calculator says i would need a 5.6ohm resistor. is that really enough???

and also, using the control module that i posted in the first post. would the car's battery fry that?? all the specs that im finding only say 12V input. or would this one be a better bet.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... :IT&ih=015

Xxcr4shxX: w/e
Crash2108: we?
Xxcr4shxX: what ever
Crash2108: no, tell me what w/e is first

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30.04.2008 15:16 
Junior Modder
Junior Modder

zouwi wrote:
You will only fry it if you limit the current with too little resistance.

In practice that won't be easy, because you would have to put all the leds in paraller, and that amount of leds will draw so much current so that your resistor will have to be quite robust.

You can calculate the resistor for about 15V, because that's what the voltage is when the engine is running. If you calculate it with 12V you end up most probably frying it.

I can't see that there would be anything else to know. Just make shure that you have large enough resistors so that they won't burn when overheated.

wrong. sorry, but nope.

firstly, you would not need all the leds in parallels. you could do whats called daisy chaining; you could make chains of whatever gets you closest to 12 volts, and attach each set to the battery through a resistor. seeing as current is drawn, you will not need to worry about the battery frying the leds. you also wont need high power resistors. you will, however, need a Vreg for each set of leds, seeing as battery voltage does fluctuate. the solution; the zener diode with a reverse breakdown voltage of 12 volts. attach the anode to ground, and the cathode to the leds, where the power wire goes to the first led. look for 1 amp zener diodes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30.04.2008 17:06 
Super Modder
Super Modder

He told what to do IF he wants to burn the leds :wink:

http://ledcalc.com/ is an answer to all led-related questions. And indeed it's wiser to use a couple of leds in series as it will reduce the power being wasted on the resistor.

Last edited by Jipa on 04.05.2008 16:46, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04.05.2008 14:41 
Junior Modder
Junior Modder

Jipa wrote:
The told what to do IF he wants to burn the leds :wink:

http://ledcalc.com/ is an answer to all led-related questions. And indeed it's wiser to use a couple of leds in series as it will reduce the power being wasted on the resistor.

perhaps its something on this forum, im not sure. i havent been here long. but on most forums, when people critisize my ideas, they tell me what wrong. not just rant. so ill ask instead:
what wrong with my idea?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04.05.2008 16:51 
Super Modder
Super Modder

Did I say there's something wrong with it? I meant that your idea is right, it's wise to daisy-chain (connect some leds in series w/ one resistor) and then put those in parallel.

And I don't see any ranting here... It seems to be a common problem that Finns seem terribly rude and offensive when they are writing english, I guess it's because A) It's hard to know what's too harsh when you're not talking your native language and B) Finns just tend to say things straight even in Finnish :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05.05.2008 02:36 
Junior Modder
Junior Modder

Jipa wrote:
Did I say there's something wrong with it? I meant that your idea is right, it's wise to daisy-chain (connect some leds in series w/ one resistor) and then put those in parallel.

And I don't see any ranting here... It seems to be a common problem that Finns seem terribly rude and offensive when they are writing english, I guess it's because A) It's hard to know what's too harsh when you're not talking your native language and B) Finns just tend to say things straight even in Finnish :wink:

ohh. sorry. when i read it was a way to burn the leds..... and im not a finn

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05.05.2008 12:19 
Super Modder
Super Modder

I should have said that "ZOUWI told what to do IF you want to burn the leds".

And my crystal ball already said you're not a finn, that's why I tried to explain why finns speaking english may seem rude when you aren't a finn yourself.