Metku.net

MetkuMods
It is currently 23.04.2018 04:47

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 28.06.2008 07:33 
Regular Modder
Regular Modder

OK, So it HAS been a while sence I have posted and all, and I WAS thinking that I have learned ALLOT from Metku and all the users here, but I now think that I am just as confused as I was in the first place.

With My New Daughter I want EVERYTHING to be big fun and have planned to get away for the 4th of July. (It's really just an excuse to spend time with the Family) So I've been saving up to get a tent and a few extra goodies.

Got it, along with digging through some boxes found an older Solar Battery Charger (Trickle Charger) and was thinking it would be GREAT to have a fan in / around the tent during the day, if nothing else to pull some of the heat OUT of the tent. So I checked the output with a multi meter and sure enough in direct sunlight it puts out between 20 and 22.7 volts. I was thinking THIS IS GREAT !!! I have a couple of PC fans from an older project that I could use and everything is GREAT !!!

N O P E ! ! ! ! ! Didn't work... The fans are 12 volt, and I wired them together in series (thinking that two fans splitting about 20 volts would be about 10v each and that was fine) But as I am sure you have already figured out, It DID NOT WORK that way... Neither of the fans even moved. So I am now thinking it needs higher Amp(s) to move them and I am not sure:
# 1 How to make it happen,

#2 IF it can even happen and

#3 how to check the amperage put out through the Solar Panel in the first place.

Any suggestions ???

Thank You,

Dan

BTW - On a somewhat similar note I WAS going to use a 12v Voltage regulator and just use one fan, but I decided against this when neither of the fans even bugged in the first place...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28.06.2008 12:00 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Perhaps you should try only with one fan first. Although the voltage reads 20 volts when there is no current draw, this number will go down a lot when you connect the load to the cells.

Post subject: Only One Fan
PostPosted: 28.06.2008 18:35 
Regular Modder
Regular Modder

OK, So of course I tried what you suggested (grin) and of course it worked. I was thinking FOR SURE it would be WAY TO MUCH voltage and burn the fan out but it was not. At 10:30 A.M. (CST) It is putting out right at 4.1 VDC. I am going to TRY to remember to check it every few hours and see if / how much it changes.

And JUST IN CASE, I am going to Rat Shack (Radio Shack) and getting a 12v voltage regulator...

Dan

PostPosted: 13.07.2008 22:10 
Regular Modder
Regular Modder

As it turns out it kept getting faster and faster... I did not think (One of my MANY MY BIGGEST PROBLEMS) at the time to put the MM to it to see what the output was, because all I needed to know is that it worked.

We went camping for the 4th of July and I wanted to use it as a tent fan... Funny how hard that is to do when it was still siting on the kitchen table and we were at the camp site. Grin...

Anyway, is there a way to find out how many amps / ma a single fan draws...

Dan