Metku.net

MetkuMods
It is currently 17.10.2019 01:19

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 03.09.2008 09:28 
Regular Modder
Regular Modder

I can look for myself IF I just knew what it was called.

I have taken apart an older CD ROM drive (I have NO IDEA why) but it is apart now anyway, and the motor that runs the Drive Tray AND the motor that runs the Laser platform STILL WORK.

I tested them both out and WOW, it was kinda cool. Like finding a small treasure in something that was headed for the trashcan. Now when I tested them all they did was slide forward. If I moved the tray or the platform back and applied power again, they slid forward again. (They of course have some gears and stuff with them so I am not about to take them off of the rails they are on.)

Anyway, what I am wanting now is a switch (I think) that can be pressed (AND HELD DOWN , maybe) and the motor goes one way, and then pressed again (and held down , maybe) and the motor goes the OTHER way.

These motors only have two wires coming from them and I was careful to notice anything coming from them as I was in the deconstruction phase of my curiosity. Grin.

So i guess I am wanting to know what the switch is called that can reverse the current of a power source from one time to the next. (if there is such a thing)

Dan

PostPosted: 05.09.2008 13:54 
Senior Modder
Senior Modder

I taught optical drives use brushless motors????
If so then there should be three wires coming from it and you'd need a brushless motor controller to run it.
Any controller for RC cars/boats with reverse should work.

POWERCOLOR HD 6950@6970
60Gb Corsair force 3 SSD

PostPosted: 06.09.2008 01:44 
Regular Modder
Regular Modder

Infernocs THANK YOU for your reply... I have no idea if they do now or not but I am sorry to say that I did not put in the first post that these are REALLY OLD. I am thinking maybe an 8x or something like that. (REALLY OLD Grin) Anyway, one of the motors DOES have a REALLY THIN cable ribbon that has 4 leads coming from it and "gear" coming from the motor itself looks like a bar with groves on it, so that one might be brushless... Now for the other one, it is, I'm 99% for sure a regular motor. It has a red and a black wire coming from it and that is it... Maybe there WAS (Opps) some sort of controller that DID go to it before I started going at it, but not no more... Grin...

Because there was a lack of interest in this post, I was thinking what I was going to end up doing is to just make two connections to it. With one set of wires one way and another set of wires the other way with a different button. More work, but till I can learn more and stop bothering everyone here, I will have to do it... Grin...

Thank You for your input...

Dan

BTW - It seems that I post WAY to much, but this stuff is just SO INTERESTING...