Metku.net

MetkuMods
It is currently 14.10.2019 14:45

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Solenoids and Caps
PostPosted: 19.10.2008 01:58 
Regular Modder
Regular Modder

Solenoids, is the subject I am trying to get educated on right now. So I have Googled them and have read a bit about them. For practical knowledge though I am just wanting to see if I have it right and MAYBE a few of yall can tell me what (if anything) you have ever used them with.

I think that they are devices that when in use can make a pin (or bar or rod) shoot out and then retract again. Is this kinda what they are. What are they used for. Where is a place to get them. And this part I don't mean like allelectronics.com or mouser or anything like that I mean does old VCRs have them or anything like that.

OK, so that is kinda (for now) what I am curious about. More importantly is the projects that people here have used them before or seem them used in.

Now for a 2nd part, instead of making yet ANOTHER post on Caps. Grin...

I ONLY USE DC. I have played with NOTHING that is AC.

The caps that I have on hand range from 10uf 10v all the way up to 2200uf 125v.

Can these still HURT ME or someone else??? I'm asking because I did not think that DC could hurt me, but the more and more I read the older posts, I am not 100% for sure...

Thank You All Again,

Dan

Post subject: Re: Solenoids and Caps
PostPosted: 19.10.2008 10:08 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Photo copiers and fax machines are good sources for solenoids. Anything relatively old and that have mechanical movement in them might have solenoids, stepper motors and other useful stuff. I haven't used solenoids in any of my project but I do have several of them standing by.

Those caps can not kill you. Sure you can load them up and when you short circuit their legs, they will produce a spark and a loud bang. Voltage of those caps isn't high enough for current to start flowing through your hands etc. At least I wouldn't worry too much. If you want to be sure that the capacitors are safe to handle, use a screw driver or some other metallic object that have an insulated handle and short the legs of the cap with it. That will remove the stored power from them.

Post subject: Re: Solenoids and Caps
PostPosted: 21.10.2008 19:29 
Regular Modder
Regular Modder

Thanks for the reply Japala, WHEW !!! I am so glad that this time I did get the answer that I was shooting for, and kinda in my mind I had an idea that it was correct. Good to be right sometimes. Grin...

And it funny to me, to see that you have several of the solenoids on standby. that really cracked me up because I have been taking apart EVERYTHING I could get my hands on so I could see the guts of it and see all the neat stuff inside that I wanted for "spare parts". Now the REAL FUNNY part is I have NO IDEA of what 3/4's of it is for, but I am glad that Google and YALL are here so I can get a bit more insight...

I have couple of VCR's that we have not used in over 8 months + so I am moving them from one place to another till they make it to the garage so I can have at em... Grin... Any good things I should keep an eye out for.

Dan