Metku.net

MetkuMods
It is currently 24.10.2017 05:11

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: using extra wires
PostPosted: 28.06.2003 05:38 
Ultra Modder
Ultra Modder

Would it be possiable to use extra wires to solder the resistor to the molex wire, also the led leg to the molex wire. The main reason that im askin that is because I kinda salvaged a few resistors that work well with my blue led. The legs on the resistors are very short, just long enough to wrap a wire around it and solder it tight. Im thinking about having it go wire from both sides of resistor, one to +5v molex, the other to led leg, then a wire to ground molex. This way it would be easier to place the led in the exact middle of the molex plug(between the 2 grounds). Please tell me that this wont effect the mod much.

Xxcr4shxX: w/e
Crash2108: we?
Xxcr4shxX: what ever
Crash2108: no, tell me what w/e is first

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28.06.2003 12:17 
Site Admin
Site Admin

As you can see from this image, I too used a piece of wire to connect the resistor to one of those pins:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 29.06.2003 08:10 
Ultra Modder
Ultra Modder

So thats what that was, i thought you took the coating from a wire, and slid it over the leg of the resistor. Good, now i definently can put the light between the 2 ground, now to file down the led. Another thing, how does the led go in, does it go vertical or horizontal when the molex is horizontal. like this -- or like this |

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21.07.2003 04:40 
Junior Modder
Junior Modder

I'm just starting to mod parts for a new beast.. and this mod is one I am doing... First off to all you filers... why file an led?? can you not find 3mm... they are much much smaller...

As for the direction of the led, align it with the molex pins... you know so the light is pointing out of the molex along the path of the wires...

It would be hard to fit it in sideways woudln't it? And much brighter on one side... if the led is is in the molex head on... you get even light distribution..

Also, the light will be pointed at a dead end.. whether it be the other end of the molex connector, or whatever it is plugged into.. even the pins themselves will be blocking the light from going anywhere..

Essentially, putting it in this way will have even light on all sides and the light will bounce around inside the molex housing better... THe pic that japala has shown.. just slide it in just like that.

Also I'm not sure how old these posts are, if anyone's doing it I recommend putting the led between the ground pins.. it makes more sense.. keeps the molex housing strong... and from japalas pics... just plain looks better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21.07.2003 05:30 
Ultra Modder
Ultra Modder

The reason to file a 5mm led is because its kinda hard to find any 3mm ones at the good price the time this was posted. I did this mod a while ago using wires so that i could have it in the middle like you said. u said about putting the led between the ground pins, I hope u mean using a wire, connecting the wires to the 5v and ground line and placing it inbetween the middle "wall", not connecting it to the 2 ground ones. I asked these questions b4 i had taken anything apart or filed down the leds, thats why i asked the question about having it sideways or not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21.07.2003 10:54 
Junior Modder
Junior Modder

oh..

Well at the place I bought LED's, the 5's and 3's are the same price... I thoguht if anything 5's should cost more... but not the case... and blue is more $$$ i think marketing since everyone wants blue is all that is..

Of course I didnt' mean wiring shit on the two negative pins... although where I bought my LED's I get free 12V resistors... so I'll be using the 12V wire... I simply meant placing the led between the ground pins... not wiring..

What did you use to take out the wall?? I noticed they are pretty tough...
I'm getting a handy cordless dremel at some point.. but I might want to start earlier..

fyi.. I have no internal parts for my new comp other than fans and a psu... but i could borrow molex housings from fans and prepare them to fit the led's as I have the led's already and can take my time to make a good fit.. then jsut replace the molex's i borrowed

Oh I don't know if anyone else reads these but obviously you do crash...

I'll share my fun mod with you..

I got an Antec True Blue 480W power supply.. what it is is the P/S with 3 internal blue led's... the fans are housed in black which you can't see, but the blades are clear... one 92mm and one 80 mm fan... so you get the appearance of two led fans in there...

but i don't want the appearance... i want the real deal... so I ordered a UV blue PSU mod cover with 80mm blowhole... rewired the fans, because the connectors were different... and put two antec tri led blue fans in there... so I have a PSU with a UV mod cover... biohazard fan grilles, and all together 9 led's inside.... pretty sweet huh..

Also my case is the black Kingwin one with 3 windows... so I'm going to paint at least the top of the power supply black so you dont' see part of that stupid grey colour thru the window... I also painted all the internal wires black so far..

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22.07.2003 06:33 
Ultra Modder
Ultra Modder

I used some wire cutters and needle nose plyers to pull out the wall. a dremel or clone is the best to use. the place where i get the leds from the blues are 45 cents, as long as u order any 10 leds. www.lsdiodes.com is the site. The only threads that i read are the ones that show up as being "new" or have a new post in them. Im supprised that antec didnt incorporate this mod into the one that u got. i like that one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22.07.2003 09:10 
Junior Modder
Junior Modder

Well the fan blades are clear.. so I guess the appearance would be the same as an led fan... I never turned it on... i want to mod it before I charge the capacitors and kill myself...

But as I'm putting a psu mod cover on... i wanted the fan housings to be clear, not black... also i accidentally ordered a 80mm blowhole when the psu has a 92mm so i had to change one fan anyways...

turns out it's a pain in the ass, i'm having trouble just fitting the damn thing in my case... i'm bending the aluminum and all kinds of crazy nonsense... then once I get it to fit.. I ahve to figure out how exactly to fasten the cover on and seal the edges as it's not a perfect fit at all...

Going to be a lot more time consuming then I thought...