Metku.net

MetkuMods
It is currently 24.10.2017 05:22

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Using a switch...
PostPosted: 21.07.2003 04:49 
Junior Modder
Junior Modder

Hey people, I've been around this site a lot but haven't been contributing to the forums... I just wanted to add that I might implement switches into my molex mods.. My case will have a lot of lights... and although I can't really turn off my 7 blue LED fans... I still might not want all the lights on all the time since I have 3 case windows...

So I thought of using a small slide switch.

Just throwing that idea up in the air...

F.Y.I. the switches can be small, and if you do this, just wire the led through the switch and back to the molex pin. A tiny bit more work. But I want mine to look and act professional... The switches, depending on how my case wires are handled.... will either be somehow fastened along the molex wires to blend in.. close to the molex, maybe on the device that the molex connects to. Just not on th eactual molex as it would block light. Or if I feel like managing wires... I could hook all my led's up to one switch and put it somewhere inside my case.

You may not like the idea, but that's ok... just thought someone else might be interested in being able to turn the lights off. Also if you constantly have your computer on... keep in mind the led's could fail eventually...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21.07.2003 05:39 
Ultra Modder
Ultra Modder

That idea has been thrown around about the switches b4. I my self even thought of doin that, but i didnt have any good switches. One idea for switch placement would be to have the wire and switch follow all the wires up the other wires back into the psu, and mount the switch so that it is on the outside of the psu switch, or somewhere along the back of the case. make it kinda look hidden. that way at lan parties ppl wont keep coming over (said in the tone of Dee Dee from the cartoon Dexters Lab) "OOOooo whats this switch do??" then flick it. One of these days when i get around to it im gonna get a really big switch on the top of my case that activates a really loud horn or a warning type sound, when the switch gets flipped it would scare the shit out of most ppl.

Xxcr4shxX: w/e
Crash2108: we?
Xxcr4shxX: what ever
Crash2108: no, tell me what w/e is first

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21.07.2003 10:57 
Junior Modder
Junior Modder

that would be neat... I suggest some sort of big toggle switch for something like that...

if you don't already know, you can get military switches now... they are the saem stuff armies use... same quality... you know the big suckers with the red guard on top that you have to flip up before you can hit the switch?? yeah that would look really bad ass anywhere on a case... but a well placed one or more would really give an image...

Only thing is tho, they are quality, and quality costs... I think I saw them for over $15 USD and $28 CAD, pretty expensive for a switch...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21.07.2003 11:01 
Junior Modder
Junior Modder

oh i forgot.. the switches i was experimenting with were 2 for less than a dollar...

pretty shitty, but i mean you can get ones that work fine for 1 up to maybe 3 dollars each tops....

another cool thing i saw recently was a power well i dont' know what you call it.. it's basically a board that lets you hook up to 8 fans, and up to 6 leds to... i think it is powered by a molex 4 pin...

It look like the right idea for me but i jsut want it for led's, I may put some lighted case badges in... only thing is, with this one, it looks retarded so you gotta hide it... and the led's need to be hooked up to 3 pin connectors just like the fans...so in theory with this particular thing, i guess you could also use the fan hookups for leds if you wanted.. but that's alot of leds//

just bored... and mentioning that this product ois out there... and i like it.

hopefully there is something similar but better by the time i'd consider one

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22.07.2003 06:44 
Ultra Modder
Ultra Modder

ive seen those militart switches for about $5USA at autozone(car part store). Ive thought about those, but they didnt have one that would look great with my case. my next idea is to hook up a little switch to the top of my front panel for the molex lights. i got the switch from an old alarm clock that died. I think the power thing that ur talking about is the thing that hooks up to the front of the case in an open 5.25" slot. theres switches on it to control the fans, that called a reobus(cant spell it) or a baybus. I purchased a few switches and did that my self.

Is it possiable to hook up 2 indepently powered molex lights to one switch without having them mess up??

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22.07.2003 09:05 
Junior Modder
Junior Modder

No, this is an internal switchboard... It doesn't monitor fans or lights at all, all it does is manage them. ie. gives you a place to plug them in...

One thing you can do with a fanbus and this product is control a group of fans...

Think of the fanbus being connected by one switch per fan... you can hook that switch up to several ports on this other thingy that the fans would be connected to... a lot of wires.. but something neat... so you can control the two back fans with one dial... the two front fans with one... the blowholes with another... anythign depending on what you ahve for fans...

personally i have 5 of the buggers... why i don't know.. as i'm watercooling..

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22.07.2003 23:41 
Ultra Modder
Ultra Modder

I am wondering something that i need help to figure out b4 i do it. I have 2 molex lights hooked up right now. would it be possiable for me to have the 2 led hooked up to one slider switch, so that they would both turn on/off together. or would something bad happen to the switch or leds or psu??

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22.07.2003 23:57 
Junior Modder
Junior Modder

nothing bad would happen at all... just make the two positive wires go to the same part on the switch... same with negative... all it is is splicing wires...

Only thing is about the wires if your led's are far apart.

But no, no problem...

What you could do instead of wiring both led's to the switch.. is splicing the led wires (turning the two positive and two negative wires each into only one wire) and then connecting them to the switch... just whatever would be easier..

But you are going to have to scrap the connections you've got now in case you didn't know... It's gonna be like doing the mod over again, except for cutting the molex's or filing LED's.

All a switch is is a piece of metal.. can't really hurt it unless you wear it down by switching it thousands of times... A switch is pretty much disconnecting and reconnecting a wire... no internal parts... THe PSU is shooting power down the line... but your switch will be at the end of the line, the pwer will not relay back to the PSU so I see no way how it would hurt it.. I'm talking out of my ass here... anyways just experiment with any switches you get to make sure you're doing it right... because I think with a slide switch you'll have 2 wires but 3 connectors... you have to figure out what to connect what to and what position the slider needs to be in to be on/off