Metku.net

MetkuMods
It is currently 24.10.2017 05:14

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: more info please
PostPosted: 15.08.2004 02:00 
I'm very new to modding and this seemed like a good place to start, and looks like an excellent mod. My question is what do you mean making sure none of the wires touch the 4 wires of the molex? and wouldn't the LED connect them? Under what circumstances would it fry?

Sorry for so many questions, I'm impatient to start ( well first I have to order them ) but I want to plan everything out first. And also for leds what about the power consumption. How much strain can... lest say 20-25 leds put on the PSU. I got a 420W. I'm considering using the UV leds, how powerful are those? and how many do you need to achive a similar effect to a cold cathode?

You guys look like a great community, I'm lucky to have stumbled upon this place (link in Yoshi's book).

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15.08.2004 06:01 
Ultra Modder
Ultra Modder

the led would connect to the two wires but since the two wires are not touching each other you are fine,

wait i didnt explain that well.

the led bridges say the 5v and its respective ground line. this lights the led. this works because curent can only flow through a led in one direction, thus preventing a short sircuit. if the actual pins in the molex connector touch (red toughes black directly) you will see sparks and you could damage any hardware connected, including psu and mobo.

im assuming that you are using leds similar to these each led only draws 20 mA so oyu should be acle to hook up about 20-25 of em, and as far as making it look like a cathode, its all about placement with uv leds, you may find taht you only need 5 or 6 to effectively light up glowy things, they are actually pretty bright.

use a resistor too, otherwise you will blow leds, and thats a bad thing.
led calculator

Praetorian wrote:
Nearly every finnish child can read and speak finnish, so it's very easy... :P

www.lsdiodes.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15.08.2004 22:31 
Thanks a lot for your answer, I think I'm gonna buy 30-40 LEDs to play around with. Including 10 UV ones - they don't need an invertot, correct?
I found an old red led and managed to connect it to my molex, looks really nice, I didn't do such a good job with the actual wiring, it has ugly electrical tape. My first time soldering too :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16.08.2004 01:27 
Ultra Modder
Ultra Modder

uv leds do not need an inverter, you are correct.

buy from http://www.lsdiodes.com they give you free leds with a certain size purchase, thats how i got my uv leds.

Praetorian wrote:
Nearly every finnish child can read and speak finnish, so it's very easy... :P

www.lsdiodes.com