Metku.net

MetkuMods
It is currently 24.10.2017 03:32

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 24.03.2004 05:06 
Hey all, I'd really appreciate an answer from anyone to this simple question.. I know the long leg of an led is the positive...

Does it matter which leg is sodlered to the ground wire? If so, do I solder the positive leg to the 12V (which I am using) or the ground wire?

Thank you for any help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 24.03.2004 06:49 
Super Modder
Super Modder

you solder the longest leg to the 12v and the shortest leg to the ground

you will also need a resistor and it doesnt matter which leg you solder it to, though I perfer the + leg

Post subject:
PostPosted: 24.03.2004 10:52 
Thanks a lot, that was what I thought, just making sure. Really appreciate it. I know mostly what I'm doing here, I was a little high when I had to ask that. I know of the resistor, my current led's conveniently came with one resistor each that is the proper resistance for a 12V source... which is simply why I am using the yellow wire!..

Not that you needed to know that, but thanks a lot for the confirmation. It's pretty obvious... positive leg to positive wire... but that's what these forums are for.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 25.03.2004 07:19 
Super Modder
Super Modder

exactly what the forums are for. Even dumb questions are welcome, we always need something to talk about and reply to :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 27.03.2004 13:23 
Just in case anyone who's come across my thread was curious...

I've done 2 molex-led mods so far. I'll have to get more led's and figure out how many molex plugs I'm using before I go on.

I'm building a new computer and spent a lot of time on the PSU since I have no other parts yet. An Antec TruBlue 480W PSU, with a UV mod cover... I replaced both the clear bladed 80mm exhaust and 92mm blowhole fans with Antec Tri-blue led fans. All wires and connectors other than molex plugs have been painted black. Needless to say, not counting however many led's I put in molex's; The bulk of my PSU boasts 9 blue leds. Woot.

Anyhoo, sorry for that if no one cares. In case anyone else is reading this, I've found the same problems as other beginners in here have. I suck at soldering.. it's tough at first. I used 3mm leds and ended up filing the lower rim anyways... My molex wires I've done had 8 wires, not 4, which made it a tight space. I had a hell of a time getting the led's in there after my rickety soldering and heatshrink jobs. Also had trouble getting the solder to stick to the pin since they heat up so fast. I used a dremel with those metal ball bits to grind away the molex walls. I'm a beginner with my dremel as well, so that was a tedious job as well.

Anyways, the end result is great. The led is clearly visible in normal light when on. In the dark though, it looks just like the pics japala gave way back. They light up great, it took me a lot of time, but so did painting the wires, my comp is coming along.

Anyways, coming from a beginner, this was a frustrating or tedious mod at times, but I was able to do it. And I love the results.

I have a tendency to write long posts, my bad. If there's anyone here other than Rutger, I'll be checking back here about mods and such. I'll make sure I register before my next post... hopefully it's free.

You'll be seeing me again, but thanks for the help with this one Rutger, and Japala, you probably wouldn't remember, but way back when I first decided to do this and asked questions, you were a lot of help. Props to you guys.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 27.03.2004 23:07 
Super Modder
Super Modder

no problem.......btw it is free to register

Post some pics of your molex lites, i would like to see that.

The only way to get better at soldering is to practice various ways........basically ilearned to solder while i was wireing my LCD, not a good place to start, but it forced me to be good and im fairly decen at it now. Just play with osme wires and see what you get. A real help to soldering is if you go to radioshack and get a thing called "helping hands" it had a magnifying glass, and a pair of gator clips and is real helpfull when soldering.