Metku.net

MetkuMods
It is currently 20.09.2018 04:06

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 20.03.2007 23:55 
Mini Modder
Mini Modder

Hi I am as they say "NEW" to this forum and somewhat to electronics and Moding. I was reading you electricity for beginners and you were saying about the voltage on the power supply being 12v and 5v and getting 7v
to run a fan. How did you get 7v? did you mean that you connect to the hot wire on the 5v line and the 12v line. Do you then also connect a ground? From the pictorial it looked like that but I don't want to burn something up! Thanks for your reply.
Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21.03.2007 00:06 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Idea here is to note the potential difference. Low side doesn't have to be 0 volts for devices to work. To get seven volts to a fan, just connect the 12 volt line from the molex connector to a plus wire on the fan. Then take the five volt line from the same molex and connect it to the negative wire on the fan. To the fan, the potential difference is now seven volts and it will work accordingly.

PostPosted: 21.03.2007 00:36 
Mini Modder
Mini Modder

Thanks Japala. I need to do some reading along that line. I alway thought there had to be a ground. The potential between the two different voltages.
I learn something everyday!
Thanks again. I am going to like this forum. I think I need to learn to read your language though! Or I am going to miss a lot.
Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21.03.2007 01:06 
Site Admin
Site Admin

If you find any topic interesting, just ask for a translation. Most of us can speak and write english very well but lately we have had so few foreign readers in the forum that the language is slowly shifting towards finnish. :)

Post subject: Language translation
PostPosted: 21.03.2007 01:17 
Mini Modder
Mini Modder

Thanks I may have to do that. Your language looks interesting. A little hard to learn I imagine. I have been reading it. Knowing the thread of the conversation i can pick out words that I know have to mean certain things.
Its a little like code breaking and if I read enough of it I will get better at know what is going on. Thanks.
PS. When are you going to Spain? And what are you going to give your address on. I would be very nervious about something like that.
Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21.03.2007 08:45 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Schedule is still open but I do now that the workshops are splitted to two days and have one day "free time" in between. I still have no idea on what I'm going to say or do but I believe it will come to me when needed. I'm a very shy person so this is going to be nice test for a quiet finn. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22.03.2007 00:02 
Mini Modder
Mini Modder

I imagine you will do just fine. They always told me you learn more by listening rather than talking. So as a quite Finn you have probably learned a lot and now you get a chance to talk so other can listen and learn. I have read enough of these posts to know that you know your stuff very well indeed. Thanks for the opportunity to be a part of it.
Dave