Metku.net

MetkuMods
It is currently 16.09.2019 13:58

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 20.04.2004 01:53 
Mini Modder
Mini Modder

Hi!

This is the first project log i'm starting and my first case mod.

The idea: I saw zapwizard's great "uberkewl" mod with the ammo case an i thought why not create something similarly kewl but something that noone has done before (at least i hope so:). I had an old russian army radio which was from world war 2 so i decided that that'd be my army case. unfortunately i don't have pics of the before state since when i started this i didn't want to post until i had some pics but to do that i had to take my pc apart and unfortunately in the meanwhile my server went *FZZZTT* so i couldn't post. now the case is more or less together still missing lots of details.

some pics of the front view:

the mess of cables is the PSU's mobo connector legthened since i couldn't get my hands on a micro atx psu that maybe would fit inside the case i'm going to add a 24 pin connector to the case for this purpose and house the PSU in a separate enclosure (the cable that is on a screw terminal on top of the case is to ground the case to the outlet ground)

the little voltmeter in the dark it actually glows much brighter and is lit with a 2 mm white led (only my camera brought it out blue) and it measures the hdd activity or network activity depending on the state of the switch beside it. (the power led is actually the ultra bright white led in the analog meter)

at the back of the unit you can see 5 rivits and even further back there are 2 holes which were one trace headphone connectors which i replaced with 2 large stereo jacks to output the surround sounnd (gonna use the connector that is further back and has a large cap with a small chain on it as the center and subwoofer connectormaybe)

the vfd will go above the vent and the fan controls and indicators below it

as you can see the front is pretty simple but that'll change as i advance in the project.

I still have to add fan speed control with led indicators, going to add a VFD unit to the front like zapwizard did but a bit larger one, add a rotating switch to the front as the on off switch so i can turn it on while the door is closed (originally the on off switch of the radio was made so that you could use it with the door closed as well), add connectors to the psu or put in a micro atx psu, maybe a paintjob, some kind of army sticker, some bright leds to the inside so you won't just see darkness in the fanholes, maybe a vent grill to the side , an aluminum plate to the inside of the back door for the mobo's layout sticker, and anything else i'll be able to come up with :)

the system specs: AMD barton 2500+ gygabyte ga-7vt600-l , 256mb 400mhz ram, matrox millenium g45 dual head (only temporary until i get a new vidcard for my main pc), TDK dvd burner, and an old fujitsu 6 gig hdd (onboard land and onboard soundcard)

one question what do you think about the paintjob? should it stay the way it is or should i paint it completely black as i originally intended?

any ideas for a 24 or more pin connector that can handle the currents of the psu? possibly a round connector oh yea and it shouldn't cost as much as the last one i almost bought before i found out that it cost almost 100 euros for the female and the male plug with the housing :))

BB tomorrow

Last edited by EdHunTer on 25.04.2004 22:42, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20.04.2004 01:56 
Mini Modder
Mini Modder

uhmm sorry bout the large pics i realized how large they really were only after i posted again sorry

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20.04.2004 03:39 
Super Modder
Super Modder

yea try and resixe them. I resize all mine to 640 x 480. Ok start.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20.04.2004 12:15 
Regular Modder
Regular Modder

This case will be great :D Post some more pics while u work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20.04.2004 12:23 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I actually requested the similar radio from a friend of my that worked for Russian Department of Justice. Too bad that he hasn't been able to locate one for me yet. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20.04.2004 15:54 
Senior Modder
Senior Modder

cool, a pc with a big piece of history. but i think i wouldn't have done this to keep the radio like it was. good job tho, post more

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20.04.2004 15:59 
Mini Modder
Mini Modder

so today is the time for the fan power control and feedback system's integration gonna make some pics of it along with some mopre pics of the backside of the pc.

Japala: if you still want one it is possible i can get you one of these radios

Nado: if it had been working i wouldn't have done this :) or if i had more experience with electron tube systems :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20.04.2004 17:09 
Ultra Modder
Ultra Modder

Very nice old radio or it was now it' s case:-D

http://hbp.deviantart.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20.04.2004 23:07 
Mini Modder
Mini Modder

okay here's a little update for the people who wanted to see more details all of the pics were made today while i was installing the fan control and the second fan and putting the psu in it's enclosure. Still i ask what's your opinion should i leave it as is or should i paint it black ?

here are the pics:

-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

Last edited by EdHunTer on 28.04.2004 15:26, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21.04.2004 07:02 
Super Modder
Super Modder

thats A LOT better, looks good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21.04.2004 22:57 
Mini Modder
Mini Modder

just a small addon

today i didn't quite feel like moddin cos of the horrible migrane i have but at least i fixed theblack front plate which you could see in one of the pics i managed to break. t'was nothing that a little work with a hot glue gun didn't fix

oh if anyone has a micro atx psu that's at least 150-200 watts and for sale or trade then pls report. email: edhunter at warrior.hu

also i'm open for suggestions and ideas especially bout if i should repaint the case or keep it as it was

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21.04.2004 23:04 
Senior Modder
Senior Modder

no, don't paint it, the rusty look is cool. or, if u want to, give it a camo paint.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22.04.2004 00:37 
Super Modder
Super Modder

yea i agree, camo or dingy is the way to go with that case. Unless you are dead set on painting it, then go with something like a flat black or sumtin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22.04.2004 01:45 
Mini Modder
Mini Modder

well i'll decide on painting it when i'm finished with the box but i think it's going to be either completely black or military green

also i have found a connector that would suit this case for the psu and in fact it is a military connector but currently i don't have 140 euros for 2 pairs of connectors :(

i'm looking for ideas on a cheap LCD or VFD screen that can be driven thru the parallel port of a pc for the PSU's separate box it'll indicate the voltages that the psu gives out (just so that the enclosure doesn't look so empty on the front)

and i'm definitely sticking with the vfd panels for the case itself because an lcd would look too out of place on the front plate. Unfortunately i just found out that i miscounted the avalible space above the front fan so a graphical vfd won't fit only a very small one which looks kinda crappy

i just found another one which looks better but i don't know if i should buy it http://www.noritake-elec.com/7000.htm type no.:GU112X16G-7000 what do you think? this last one would just fit in there the first i was looking at was 60*60 dots which is VERY small

another thing lighting i will surely make a small lamp from a 4 volt bulb to light the whole front but i'm unsure as weather to light up the interior of the case or not if i'll do it it's gonna have either one green cathode or some small green UB LEDs. i'm not sure weather this is a good idea or not since aside from the fan holes there won't be any places to see in maybe if i put up a grill to one of the sides but would that look cool? and if i doo that i'll definitely have to cut the side of the case which i don't know if it's a good idea or not.

well that's for now you may suggest stuff :)

sorry bout my english but i kinda got lost in some of my sentences and i was too lazy to rewrite them with all these soldering fumes in my head :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22.04.2004 21:01 
Mini Modder
Mini Modder

Okay now the fan control system is finished it gives the fans either 5 or 12 volts no big deal indicates voltage with red or green led both fans switchable separately

also put in some lighting today 3 green UB leds hotglued to the back of the front fan and also added a Cold Cathode which is currently blue but will be changed to green tomorrow when my green one arrives (the blue will go to my desk for keyboard lighting)

I've also decided to leave the painting as it is and i'm gonna add a battered stiker saying something like warning high electromagnetic radiation

I also decided to leave out few rivets on the sides for the light to come thru it looks kewl already (tho i don't want blue in it)
oh yea and does anyone know of a good fader circuit that constantly dims and increases lightpower? ( i wanna add some kind of circuit to the cathodes to do that) it looks really kewl as less and less of the cathode is lit as the voltage decreases :)

pics coming tonite