Metku.net

MetkuMods
It is currently 19.04.2014 17:28

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pirate Case
PostPosted: 21.10.2006 21:19 
Regular Modder
Regular Modder

Location: Helsinki, Finland CPU: P4 3 GHz RAM: 512MB HDD: 120Gb GFX: Radeon 9600 128MB

So, I started my first ever modding project, by buying a new case. It cost me 25 euros, so there are some disadvantages in it. Just to mention one, the top part of the outer case (the "roof") isn't attached with screws, but with little bolts (there might be a better name for them). So, it can't be removed without applying some force on it. I think I won't be removing it 'cos I can just as well just put some tape over the parts that I don't want to paint.

My plans for this case are the following:

1. The plans that I will most definitely carry out:
  • Painting the case (Mainly red with black highlights)
  • Building a storage box (Something like this)
  • An LCD (a blue one) in the front (Probably this one with these instructions)
  • Some lighting (blue leds mostly, but I already have a blue "ripple-/wave-effect" -neon and some blue el-strip which I might also use, will post pictures later)
  • Replacing the power and reset switches with something more stylish

2. The plans I might carry out

• Installing a key switch in front or in the back to be able to "lock" the computer (would be connected to the original powerswitch to toggle it on and off). This might also include an actual physical lock of the computer, done by using a solenoid or something similar, any ideas on this one?
  • Pirate theme? This would include a pirate flag design somewhere (this one)

3. If you come up with any more nice ideas, please post them and I will definitely consider them.

edit: One plan more.

Last edited by Sciatic on 04.02.2007 16:15, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22.10.2006 20:20 
Regular Modder
Regular Modder

Location: Helsinki, Finland CPU: P4 3 GHz RAM: 512MB HDD: 120Gb GFX: Radeon 9600 128MB
I might change the color of the lighting to red, since blue is used so much, any comments?

My shopping list for the next week:
  • Some plastic goo (dunno what it's called, pakkeli på finska), to mold the front panel a bit. (to make it a bit rounder and smoother)
  • New power and reset switches (big red ones like these or metal ones like this one, probably the red ones)
  • A key switch, as mentioned before
  • Spray paint and varnish(?)
  • Spontaneous purchases :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28.10.2006 18:22 
Regular Modder
Regular Modder

Two days ago I went and bought a key switch and 4 other switches, which will control the lighting. I decided not to buy new power and reset switches, since they would've cost 10 euros a piece, and they weren't that amazing.

Now some pretty bad photos:

I ripped all the wires off the front panel so I could take a closer look at the structure and so that I could paint it. The four switches and the key switch are on the right.

The front panel, naked.

And the case, also naked.

As you can see there are lots of hdd & floppy expansion slots, so it won't be a problem to fit in my floppy, 2 hard drives and a memory card reader that I just bought (which actually won't fit into my current case, it's now on the bottom of the case :D).

ToDo:
  • Try to exchange the key switch to a more suitable one, since when this model is turned in the "on" position, you can't get the key out ( -> ask from friends etc)
  • Biltema with the paint and plastic molding stuff.

edit: Some early ideas for the paint job:

side panel

front panel

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04.02.2007 16:23 
Regular Modder
Regular Modder

Finally got a ride to Biltema and bought the following things:

Some spray paint, some plastic molding stuff and sanding paper \o/

ToDo:
  • Try to exchange the key switch to a more suitable one, since when this model is turned in the "on" position, you can't get the key out ( -> ask from friends etc) DONE
  • Biltema with the paint and plastic molding stuff. DONE
  • Sand the whole case and apply plastic mold thingy (I'll try to cover up that form on the side panels and make them smooth)
  • Paint.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04.02.2007 17:10 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I like the simple approach you are taking... I'm not too sure that the red/black theme with red being the major color works the best but then again it is your case and not mine. :) Keep us posted on your progress!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09.08.2007 17:54 
Regular Modder
Regular Modder

(Image) ^_^

So, this project has been on quite a long hold :D Well here are the updated, current plans. Most of these are already included in the first post but this is also a list for myself.

Features that I want the case to have at this moment
  • Storage box (2 5.25" bays)
  • HDD Eyez (courtesy of japala), probably not a skull, though it would fit nicely into the pirate theme, now to think of it :) but the circuit will be used anyways
  • Front panel with usb and sound and maybe something else too, I'd like to have them in the upper part of the case, since the computer is always on the floor, but I might end up using the original front panel at the bottom of the case..

Anyways, I'll try to do some of these things in the following week or so - ToDo
  1. Sand everything
  2. drill/saw a 120mm hole in the front for a fan + saw away the part where the power/reset switches will be mounted (save for later)
  3. Apply plastic molding goo to side panels and front panel
  4. Sand it until it's smooth
  5. Do last alterations to the case if needed (requires some planning)
  6. Paint (this might require some thinking since I'll probably have to make a stencil)
  7. Apply varnish/lacquer

ToBuy
  • 120mm fan
  • rubber "screws" for fan
  • some lighting?
  • two broken/cheap CD drives (or any 5.25" drives) from a flea market (for the storage box)

ToFind (I seem to have missplaced these :S)
  • Plastic molding goo
  • Spray varnish

I'll just try to keep it very simple and (hopefully) stylish, and make it as lan party -compatible as possible :) I'm also considering painting my tft, mouse and keyboard in the same color theme, let's see how it all turns out...

updated 20:57 some more plans

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: 25.04.2009 07:34 
Junior Modder
Junior Modder

Sciatic wrote:
Finally got a ride to Biltema and bought the following things:

Some spray paint, some plastic molding stuff and sanding paper \o/

ToDo:
  • Try to exchange the key switch to a more suitable one, since when this model is turned in the "on" position, you can't get the key out ( -> ask from friends etc) DONE
  • Biltema with the paint and plastic molding stuff. DONE
  • Sand the whole case and apply plastic mold thingy (I'll try to cover up that form on the side panels and make them smooth)
  • Paint.

i think every is ready for plastic molding, nice works, good luck to you bro