Metku.net

MetkuMods
It is currently 21.11.2017 00:11

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: LED Drilling...
PostPosted: 16.01.2003 06:52 
Junior Modder
Junior Modder

I'm well into the construction part of my glow pad. I work for a manufacturing plant (CAT machine parts) so they had the perfect tool to cut the plexi for me. I've allredy done pretty much everything but drilling out the bottom to put the LEDs and wires in. I was wondering if anybody had any tips or suggestions for that part. Is there any special type of dremmel bit that would work for this? It shouldn't have to be very thick, b/c i'm just going to put the glass on some small risers. While i'm on the subject of risors, if the LED's arent in the glass as much as possible, will the edges still light up as much, or will they be dimmer? Any help is well appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16.01.2003 09:03 
Site Admin
Site Admin

This is the best tool to carve those channels. Comes with the Dremel kit. If you don't mount those leds "inside" the pad, there will be some "leaking" from the led to your table top below the led. Most of the light will still be directed straight to the pad so I don't think that it will be a problem as long as you get it as deep as you can. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16.01.2003 17:37 
Mini Modder
Mini Modder

I just cut straight through for the LEDs and afixed peices of a dead CD above and below the <4mm thick part of the LEDs. The trick is to make sure that you get the pecies that will be on top as level as possible! I found that it is much better to have a slight divit down than one going up. When sticking up, it will make make my mouse halt in positions, when sticking down, even before I had the CD bits, it glides smoothly and entirely un-noticed even on my cloth (as opposed to "wax coated" or "hard") mouse pad.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21.01.2003 02:17 
Junior Modder
Junior Modder

on another note i find a router is an excellent too for cutting the channel

PostPosted: 22.01.2003 05:04 
Junior Modder
Junior Modder

I have finally finished my glow pad, very cool looking 8) . I just wanted to tell everybody how much I appreciated the help you provided. Thanx again.... :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: 14.02.2003 09:08 
you might want to try looking for the router attatcment for a dremel tool...I have one, you just slip it on and tighten and its a little mini router

Post subject:
PostPosted: 26.02.2003 12:30 
When I carved the channels for my glowpad table, (http://metku.net/modgallery/detail.php?id=463) I had a little accident with the router - on a part of the channel, I had carved too far down, so the router went through. I fixed this by putting tape on the top side, and filling the hole with epoxy glue. The epoxy filled area is just as nice as the rest.
This technique can be used by people who don't have routers or dremels. Just cut out the channels with a jigsaw or whatever, and fill the channels with some epoxy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15.07.2003 18:01 
i am making a glowpad myself too, but i just need to know one thing. how do you work it out with the cables from the led to the 'powerline'? do you glue it inside the carved channels with something or how do you do that?

thanks in advance

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15.07.2003 18:32 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I used small drops of superglue along the carved channel to hold those wires. Superglue can cause fogging on the acrylic so hot glue would be the best choice here and I used it on the BreezePad mod.