Metku.net

MetkuMods
It is currently 18.12.2017 04:19

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Wiring Difficulties.
PostPosted: 08.08.2003 08:45 
Regular Modder
Regular Modder

Hey, I recently bought a bootlegged Dremel type tool. So far, I havent figured out whats best to drill plexiglass with and Ive damaged a lot of those...pink rocklike bits. So if anyone could tell me what those do...and whats the best one to drill through plexi, itd be appreciated. :roll:

Ive completed my Glowpad about 90 percent and was wondering if anyone could help me out on the last part. When I was making the cuts on the plexi, I went all the way through instead of going almost through, and now I dont know how to keep the LEDs in place. Ill be sure to post pics when Im done! Thanks

Should really make an avatar. Nah. Nevermind.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08.08.2003 09:07 
Site Admin
Site Admin

If you want just to drill get some regular drilling bits that are used in regular drills too.

You mean these "stonebits": http://www.dremel.com/productdisplay/bi ... lor=009933 Site also tells on what to use this tool for.

Best tool for carving is: http://www.dremel.com/productdisplay/bi ... lor=009999 You should be able to find the similar bit inside your kit if the manufacturer included it. Quite common with Dremel copies too.

You could glue a really thin sheet of plastic on top of that glowpad ontop of that part where the leds go. This would then keep the leds in place. Use hot glue to glue the leds on because it fills all the empty space around the leds and allows them to glow around the pad more easily.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09.08.2003 05:34 
Regular Modder
Regular Modder

Hey, thanks alot, I glued the whole thing down like a madman :twisted: into the the spaces and it works great. I was wondering if its possible to change the LED on my mouse. Its blue and I want it to match my keyboard and glowpad. Im not sure of the amount of energy it consumes, so Im afraid to change a light, without a resistor, or with. How can I find out if I have the right amount of electricity flow?

Should really make an avatar. Nah. Nevermind.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09.08.2003 11:06 
Site Admin
Site Admin

You need a multimeter for that. ... hmm... I really should write a tutorial about this... anyway, with volt setting on the meter place the measuring leads to the both legs of the led while it is lit and it will show the voltage that the led needs. Then, open the solder of one of the legs, place the multimeter to current measuring and place one lead to that led leg and other to that solder pad on the mouse's circuit board. This will tell the current that is flowing through the led. With this info you can then calculate the proper current limiting resistor. Another possibility is to just remove that blue led and replace it with that led you want. Turn on the power and try to feel if that led is getting warm. If it is, it will need a current limiting resistor. If you only have one led at hand, add a resistor... for example 50-100 ohms and then test it. This brings down the possibility that the led will burn.