Metku.net

MetkuMods
It is currently 14.12.2017 10:51

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 08.11.2002 21:24 
Regular Modder
Regular Modder

Has anyone ever thought about using fiber optic cable runnin from a cold cathode in a computer to the mousepad? It would eliminate the need for power running to it, and it would work rather well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09.11.2002 02:02 
Junior Modder
Junior Modder

Hm... please explain, im not quite getting what you saying...

Reality? Is that where the pizza delivery guy comes from?

[size=1:8e3d1266d7]My Casemodding

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09.11.2002 09:11 
Regular Modder
Regular Modder

I'm saying that you can take light coming from a light in your computer, whether it be a LED or a cold cathode, you can use optical cable to transfer the light from the computer, to the glowpad. It would just be easier than having to put electric things in your mouse pad, and you could just glue them in little holes in the back.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09.11.2002 09:35 
Veteran Modder
Veteran Modder

i understand what you are saying...but the only problem is the brightness is not high enough to light a whole pad with only one...or even 3 wires for that matter

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12.11.2002 14:48 
Regular Modder
Regular Modder

It would be an interesting setup with the cold cathode, but you could build an internal LED array inside and run it from there. One way is to use an endglow cable, which is a jacketed fiber optic cable, that contains from I think about 4 to over 100 separate .75mm fiber cables. Of course the more you have the thicker the cable, which is one drawback to this. The fiber optic cable would be thicker than running a power cord. If the cord thickness is not a problem, than this would be a great alternative. You could technically transport the light anywhere you want, mousepad, monitor, mouse, keyboard, doghouse whatever....As for the cold cathode that would require some discussion. I have never had a chance to play with cold cathodes yet, been playing with LED's too much. I know they are called cold cathodes, but I still beleive they give off some heat correct? My thought is, with plastic fiber optic cable, would the heat from the cold cathode be sufficient to melt plastic? I don't think so, so if no, then with a little modding to attach the fiber, that is a great light source too. Combine this with the color fader and you've got youself one sweet mod.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 13.11.2002 02:54 
Veteran Modder
Veteran Modder

no i dont think that the heat from the cold cathode would melt the cable......however devising a good way to connect the cable to the cathde tube would be somewhat tough...maybe with some tape connected to the end of the cable on the cathode...but like Excelsior said this will take some descision

Post subject:
PostPosted: 13.11.2002 04:48 
Regular Modder
Regular Modder

meryan00 wrote:
however devising a good way to connect the cable to the cathde tube would be somewhat tough
Yeah, I think tape is a simple approach, but you would probably want your cathode somewhere where it couldn't be seen and maybe the heat would eventually dry out the adhesive? Don't know. What would be great is a small PVC tee fitting. They probably don't make these small enough, but with some looking you could maybe find something at a garage sale or similar. I imagine there are many possibilities for this, it is just finding one that looks nice and gets the job done. Perhaps a little plastic tubing and string. This mod could be nice with one of those multi color ccfl's japala has recently reviewed. My vote is still with the LED array :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 13.11.2002 05:16 
Regular Modder
Regular Modder

wouldnt the light get dimmer and dimmer as it gets farther and farther away from the light source?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 13.11.2002 11:26 
Regular Modder
Regular Modder

carnut101 wrote:
wouldnt the light get dimmer and dimmer as it gets farther and farther away from the light source?
Yes, but the amount would be negligable at this distance. It also depends on your light source which is why meryan00 commented that one LED would not be enough. Fiber optics are used for an array of things like information transfer and is even used in lighting homes via sunlight. If you use a jacketed fiber then you should have no problems with this for most any home mod. A few super bright LED's or a CCFL is plenty of light for this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28.09.2003 04:16 
Ultra Modder
Ultra Modder

does anyone know a site that sells fiber optic wires?? I have been lookin for some time now, but havent seen any. i would need like 4 feet, so if theres a site that sells fiber optic wire by the foot that would be great.

Xxcr4shxX: w/e
Crash2108: we?
Xxcr4shxX: what ever
Crash2108: no, tell me what w/e is first