Metku.net

MetkuMods
It is currently 22.07.2018 15:32

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 22.07.2006 21:56 
Junior Modder
Junior Modder

Hi all,

my first post and it's a question :) I tried building this little device but I ran into a small problem... My "eyez" are on all the time :oops: I'm using 12V and a 12V laserled (with 3 bright blue leds) thingy in place of the leds. Just wonderin if anyone else has run into this kind of a problem with this. Or if anyone has any ideas what might be wrong (Can the 4N35 be fried from soldering would that do something like this).

anyways suggestion appreciated :)

Dasa

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22.07.2006 22:20 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Are the leds on if you pull the connector off the hdd-header? This move should make sure that the optoisolator is not switched on and the leds should not shine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22.07.2006 22:24 
Junior Modder
Junior Modder

Yeah the leds stay on even without the hdd cable. My last attempt I tried with out installing the hdd cable. Does the optoisolator need to be "turned off" when the circuit is first started (default setting on?)?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22.07.2006 23:49 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Inside the optoisolator is a transistor that reacts to light. Those two wires that you connect from the HDD-header is connected to led inside the optoisolator. When the led shines -> optoisolator switches on. You don't need to "prime" it in any way.

Try to pull off the capacitor and try that cable trick on the hdd-header side. This will remove the delay function from the circuit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23.07.2006 23:12 
Junior Modder
Junior Modder

Heheh I almost got it to work.

Redid the whole thing with a new optoisolator and without the capacitor. Now the circuit actually reacts to the input from HDD pins. But there's still a problem. Now the leds don't light up correctly. If the HDD connector is the wrongway and the leds shine bright but when it's the right way they a really really dim but they react as they should. Any ideas how to fix this :) Would installing the capacitor help? The laserled thingy that I'm using has 3 leds in series inside.

Thanks.

-Dasa

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23.07.2006 23:20 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hmm... this is quite odd. One possibility could be that you hdd-header is not giving out enough current/voltage to fully switch the optoisolator on but I doubt that... Can't really see what the problem is so you just have to try to figure this one out on your own. Sorry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 24.07.2006 14:16 
Junior Modder
Junior Modder

Wohooo! :D

I got it to work. atleast with out the capacitor. The cable that I had built for the HDD connection was too long or too thick. Either way salvaged a HDD led cable from an old case and it started to work OK. Weird. Anyways I'm happy :) and quite satisfied with this without the capacitor.

Thank you japala. :)

-Dasa