PostPosted: 17.01.2007 22:50 
Site Admin
Site Admin

So... any comments or questions?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18.01.2007 12:54 
Junior Modder
Junior Modder

I'd like to share few things with you guys, I got my ds-xtreme few weeks ago, I've been more than happy about it, but there's one thing where im really really disappointed, the lack of dslinux, the thing is that it wont work with it, and also other big ammount of homebrew software which is using memory from slot-2, oh and opera browser wont work either without that extra memory

The reason is lack of memory in ds console itself, you can get "more memory" with gba cards which for example lets ds linux run, but it's more like dslinux community doesnt want to support ds-xtreme since it "clearly" designed to do unleagal stuff, not mainly homebrew stuff etc, at least in their point of view? reading a bit from xtreme forums it seems that they just want to give possibility to run everything without needing slot-2 cards

I also found out from xtreme forums that you could actually run dslinux via wifiboot so, it should run from xtreme too with modifications (not easy perhaps, but it would be possible), and maybe they could make swapfile or something.. maybe you could make swap partition for xtreme itself and configure dslinux to use it? I don't know... I don't have the hardware to test it, I would need dslinux working to configure it, and im probably not that good with linux, even i've been using it for year now

but there should be one way to run it even now, since xtreme card works as passcard when you are using slot-2, so you could buy movieplayer or some other cardreader to boot things from there and then you could get that extramemory which some software needs, also you could use gba stuff too, since ds-xtreme doesnt run those either.

so be carefull! if you want to run dslinux, you should check some stuff first and not buy the first card which seems good :wink:

and if someone(looking at japala :D) has possibility to test that, if you could run dslinux with some other cardreader using xtreme as passcard, I would really like to hear the results :!:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18.01.2007 17:37 
Senior Modder
Senior Modder

Do you guys know if it would be possible to run DS-linux from a Flash2advance card?
I'we got one of those but I'm not sure what I can do with it.

POWERCOLOR HD 6950@6970
60Gb Corsair force 3 SSD

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18.01.2007 21:14 
Junior Modder
Junior Modder

What is the best hardware for me? I want that every software works(including DSLinux). Shouldn't be the most expensive one.. Price includes memory cards ect. if needed to buy. And I need USB-writer/reader in it. I have DSLite and I can use WiFi.

EDIT: I did a little research..

EZ Pass 3 is a very good passme.. Is it PassMe2? I think I need that.

I need a flash cart. As I have said above: I need USB-writer/reader in it. I don't want to buy a card reader for computer. It should have memory for DSLinux.

I found that SuperCard(not rumble) is just perfect. In rumble versions there is no memory for linux. I have a DSLite white, so what is the best model?

EDIT2: Does this cause any problems to original ds and playing original games??

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18.01.2007 23:14 
Junior Modder
Junior Modder

the "best hardware" is a bit hard to say because what I've heard, only xtreme (and maybe other samekind of cards) can use multiplayer/wifi mode with games, but there's also lack of some other stuff i already explained

also with some cards you have to patch your roms and software, so you should try to just google stuff and try to deside, and heck.. read japala's article! :D it's made for help you to choose the right one :wink:

and these things wont cause any problems to your console, you could brick it with firmware upgrade tough.. (so it's safe to get one which doesnt need any upgrades)

Quote:
Do you guys know if it would be possible to run DS-linux from a Flash2advance card?
I'we got one of those but I'm not sure what I can do with it.

yes, but not the ultra version (whatever it is?)
http://www.wiili.org/index.php/Dslinux_faq
http://www.dslinux.org/wiki/Main_Page
you should check dslinux wikis :wink:

Last edited by anacron on 18.01.2007 23:21, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18.01.2007 23:14 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Using these cards/adapters do not alter the NDS permanently in any way. Remove the adapters and the NDS will be as it were when you bought it from the shop. Only exception is the FlashMe. It replaces the original firmware inside the NDS unit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19.01.2007 16:52 
Junior Modder
Junior Modder

Hmm.. Netgame is not necessary, but would be nice tho.. But still better linux and gba things are more important.

But...

slot 2 things:(harder to use and NOT cheaper)
good slot 2 using device: 70 €
mem card: 25 €
mem card reader for computer 15€
nopass: 25 €
-------------
total 135 €

slot 1 things:(easier, but everything wont work)
ds-x: 100 €
-------------
total 100 €

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19.01.2007 16:56 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Just select the product you want to check and see what the compatibility is. DSLinux seems to be tested on most cards.

http://wiki.scorpei.com/index.php/Main_Page

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19.01.2007 18:54 
Junior Modder
Junior Modder

I found a new best hardware: M3 Perfect Micro-SD Lite adapter / flash kit for NDSLite (w/o memory) + PassCard 3

So I'm I right that this uses Micro-SDs and I have to buy one for it? And can that run DSLinux and other demanding softwares?

M3 Perfect Micro-SD Lite + NoPass: 100 €
MicroSD 1 Gt: 20 €
Card reader for MicroSDs: 15 €
--------
total 135 €

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20.01.2007 00:28 
Mini Modder
Mini Modder

Myydäänkö noita DS-Xtreme missää päin Suomea? En ainakaa Googlella lyötäny.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20.01.2007 01:13 
Ultra Modder
Ultra Modder

Location: Finland CPU: i5-750 RAM: 4Gt, HDD: 2000 Gt, GFX: RADEON HD 5770, D: 22"+44"
Henkru wrote:
Myydäänkö noita DS-Xtreme missää päin Suomea? En ainakaa Googlella lyötäny.

http://www.modpiiri.com/?sivu=lisatieto&id=322&ak=21&cid=6

Post subject:
PostPosted: 29.01.2007 23:22 
Junior Modder
Junior Modder

Okay, seems that the best device to get atm is M3 DS Simply or clone for this thingie. (it's also cheaper than DS-xtreme), it doesn't need passcard and it uses microsd cards. It runs dslinux and other homebrew software. Im saying this even tough I don't really have experience, but hey, I guess I just have to believe other people sometimes.

Näitä saa myös suomesta modpiiri.comista hintaan 59e että miettikääpä ennenkun ostatte DS-Xtremen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09.02.2007 19:37 
Junior Modder
Junior Modder

I just ordered my homebrews. (Passcard V3 (M3) + M3 CF)