Metku.net

MetkuMods
It is currently 28.05.2020 17:49

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Help
PostPosted: 27.07.2006 05:13 
Junior Modder
Junior Modder

I've just purchased the LCD and Driver from Jelu.com.

I emailed Jesper to find out information on the cable and the software, and he told me that Jani did it himself.

I'm wondering if I can get a wiring diagram and a copy of the software used to control the LCD.

Thankyou all in advance.

Jase

Post subject:
PostPosted: 27.07.2006 09:01 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Software something that I wrote for my personal use and only have some basic functions. I'll make it bit more stable etc. and share it with the world but I'm not sure what features I will be putting in it. From Jesper you can get a code example on how to use the display but if you don't have coding experience, that would not do you much.

I'll make an image for that wire diagram after I get back to work on tuesday 01.08.2006. Post a message here if I don't remember to do that. :)

Screenshot from the current program:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28.07.2006 00:39 
Junior Modder
Junior Modder

Thankyou for your reply.
Unfortunatley I dont have any coding experience, so I eagarly await your software.

Are you able to help me with the physical wiring for the unit? I just need to know which pins on the driver board go to which pins on the DB25 connector.

Thanks again for all your help.

Regards,
Jase

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28.07.2006 00:41 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I'll make a diagram that shows the actual connectors so it should be easy to follow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28.07.2006 08:21 
Senior Modder
Senior Modder

I also placed an order for the controller and connector for the screen, I'we been holding on to my old 6610 for a long time waiting for something like this to come along :D

This will make the coolest case badge ever, Japala do you know if it is possible to run gif animations at say 10-15fps on that screen via parallel?

Spinning amd logo would be sooo cool.

Think I'll install 3dMax and start working on a logo next week when I'm on vacation unless my girlfriend comes up with something better to do.

POWERCOLOR HD 6950@6970
60Gb Corsair force 3 SSD

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28.07.2006 08:34 
Senior Modder
Senior Modder

Actually I just came up with something that would be really cool, If someone was able to write a program that would change the picture to match active programs so that when you are running for example firefox you'd have the fox logo, alt+tab over to skype and it would change to the skype logo, games etc. that would bee soo cool.

POWERCOLOR HD 6950@6970
60Gb Corsair force 3 SSD

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28.07.2006 09:15 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Perhaps you should have read the article more carefully. In 16-bit color mode the speed with parallel port is only like 1 fps. 8-bit is bit faster but not that much.

I need to look into usb->spi adapters to try to get this thing work faster. Parallel port is just not enough for animation while the LCD itself can be quite a lot faster.

Post subject: USB Interface
PostPosted: 28.07.2006 13:08 
Junior Modder
Junior Modder

I have easy access to a USB to parallel port cable. I would be more than happy to help test this.

Is there any sort of other connection that you can use to hook it up to the computer, other than Parallel?

With most serial controllers you can increase the baud rate, would this help to increase the speed of the data to bring up the FPS.

Jase

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28.07.2006 16:36 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Forget about those usb->par port adapters. They have their own drivers so you can use your printer with them but they don't offer pin to pin programming as true paraller port does so you can't access them directly from your own programs. Only if you are able to find such usb->parport adapter that offer SDK for you to write your own drivers / code for it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 29.07.2006 04:31 
Junior Modder
Junior Modder

Location: CO, USA: CPU: AMD Opt175, MOBO: DFI UT NF4 Ultra-d, RAM: OCZ 2048M, HDD 250Gx3, Video: 7900GT
well looks like your Mod has made Jula sell out of his boards.. Looking at his sit today they are back ordered until Sept. 22.

as others have stated. I am intrested in the software as well, but more on the lines of getting an example of feeding an image over to the screen. As I am wanting to add the features into a larger program that I am working on with one of my current mods.

http://www.malatorymods.com/spider_v2_1.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: 29.07.2006 09:39 
Junior Modder
Junior Modder

What are the USB>SPI Adapters that you are talking about, I'm not familiar with them. I don't understand the programming enough to comprehend how data can be sent to the screen from only 3 wires. Surely there is another form of port, thats faster than parallel, that you could use?

Jase

Post subject: wow
PostPosted: 30.07.2006 12:12 
Junior Modder
Junior Modder

i think this is one of the best modds i have ever seen , will there ever be a public release of the software and diagrams ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30.07.2006 12:56 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I'll will make the wiring diagram next week. I'll also compile a software that will allow one to send images to the screen but for more complex projects I think I'll release the source for others to develop further... I did receive some example code from Jesper when I get the display from him so I'll ask him if I can post those codes to the net too.

As I only wanted to show the mod I created, I didn't have any plans on supporting it further. Whether the screen would be embedded to a car steering wheel etc. the process and the programs are the same. As in many cases, I believe this mod will be copied by others and most of them will never give any credit to me for telling how to create one. That is why I don't want to spend too much time with this any more. But rest assured that I'll do my best to get you people going with this screen. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 31.07.2006 00:54 
Junior Modder
Junior Modder

I have a little forum that I run and I'll no doubt post the process and end product on it. Rest assured you will definatley get credit, and of course there will be a link to the original idea, your mouse.

Thanks very much again, helping with this. I don't know how I'll go with the source code, but you've certainly inspired me enough to have a crack at it.

Jase

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01.08.2006 01:44 
Junior Modder
Junior Modder

I think I got the last screen from Jesper, as I ordered two but am only going to receive one.

I do have lot of coding experience, so I would love to see any samples of code that you'd be willing to share.

I love this mod! If I come up with anything really cool, I will post here and give you all the credit! :D