Metku.net

MetkuMods
It is currently 18.01.2022 06:52

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 22.09.2008 03:16 
Junior Modder
Junior Modder

Hi all, so i was looking at this project from another site and it looks like a really easy to fallow project but... the electrical wiring is whats getting me.

well i have drawn out a concept of what the final project will look like, all i need is help understanding how to wire and set the led to blink, shine and light up when i want them too.

i have 6 layers, each must turn on and stay on totally different times, i have no idea how to do, i have some experience when it comes to wiring leds with resistance so im noob when it comes to this project,

Can someone here take a few min out of there time and tell me how to program this sequence that i need,i can upload the concept of this project if u guys want to get a better understanding on what im trying to.

Thanks again for any support or maybe where i can start to learn how to program this sequence for these 6 layers
-Irvin

PostPosted: 22.09.2008 08:04 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hi and welcome to the forum. :)

Hmm... it all depends on the sequence that you are after. If you have fixed delays between the "frames", basic logical chips may suffice but more complex timing need bit more complex automation, thus the microcontroller might be the easiest way forward. Could you please tell us more about the timing that you are after? No need to reveal more about your actual animation and theme if you don't want to at this point. 8)

PostPosted: 22.09.2008 14:24 
Junior Modder
Junior Modder

That is not a problem at all, and thanks for the greeting, i will write out the project but if you would like i can email you the drawings.

First off i am in a car club and i had made before a picture frame with a neon light carving, looked great but it couldnt move and when i found your project i fell inlove with it and told my team leader about it, they told me if i could create that for the team logo.

http://www.myspace.com/legitautoteam

i broke it down into 6 layers
layer 1- (red) L
layer 2- (white) egit
Auto Team
layer 3- (white) gauge outline
layers 4-6- (white) marking sticks of the gauge

i want the layers to turn on in sequence,from 1 to 6, and i want ...
layer 1 for blink 3 times really quick and then stay on.
layer 2 to blink 2 times really quick and then stay on.
layer 3 to kinda flow on from the right to the left (so i'll have 3 leds positioned for this effect)
layer 4 to turn on the first set of 2 sticks from the left
layer 5 to turn on the second set of 2 sticks in the middle
layer 6 to turn on the last pait of sticks on the right (so kinda what layer 3 did but just the opposite and in a flow)

Like i sayd i can email you picture of an animation just to get a clearer picture of this project but thanks again for taking your time out and helping me out with. hope it wont be that hard, and thanks for responding so fast :D

Thanks again
-Irvin

PostPosted: 22.09.2008 16:18 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Seems that the microcontroller is the easiest way forward... you have any experience with programming on any language?

PostPosted: 22.09.2008 16:31 
Junior Modder
Junior Modder

For now i dont but i will be going to school in jan of 09 for electrical engineering, so for the moment i dont have experience but it dont hurt to start a little early, is there a possibility that you could direct me to links or a quick explanation for this project?

I did find this link that i think might be helpfull but i would much rather ask someone like your self that has more knowledge and experience.

http://www.kmitl.ac.th/~kswichit%20/xti ... imer1.html

I dont know if this a start but maybe you could direct me better.

Thanks again...
-Irvin

PostPosted: 22.09.2008 16:57 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I believe that the Arduino would be a good choice for you. I personally use this:
http://arduino.cc/en/Guide/ArduinoNano

You can get it from here: http://store.gravitech.us/arduino-nano1.html

The language is bit easier than writing in plain C/C++ and the net contains tons of sample codes. I too have made some small projects with it so I can help you with the code.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtMa2P536L8

PostPosted: 23.09.2008 03:33 
Junior Modder
Junior Modder

great thanks for the support, i will get on this and see if i can make sense out of it, if i cant i will try and post detailes on where im having trouble, so check this topic once in a wail :wink: but thanks for your support so far and lets see if we can make magic happen :D

ohh if you feel like theres anything else i should know, (links ,advice ,other project thats similar to mine) feel free to PM or just post it here, again thanks again.

-Irvin

PostPosted: 23.09.2008 06:07 
Junior Modder
Junior Modder

Thanks for the information again, i was reading up on it and it does seem simple enough and at the same time a bit hard/weird since i have never messed with type of electronic, is the program that is provided this chip used friendly ? and could i basically program the chip to turn on these light at about nano-seconds apart ? sorry if the questions are a little weird but im really geting into this project :D

The chip itself is pricey though, would there be anything that would be more cheaper? like for example the setup you have for your project? or would i need a lot more experience for this type of setup? but either way i will still take you suggestions, i have also included a link to the project that i want to make,

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i249/cupitycakes/LegitGlassCutoutproject.jpg

Thanks again for taking your time and viewing and any advice you may have.
-Irvin

PostPosted: 23.09.2008 08:32 
Site Admin
Site Admin

There are cheaper solutions but they require more knowledge about electronics and programming. As the Arduino have a built-in USB support, you don't need any additional hardware to program the chip. There are other Arduino boards that do not have USB but for example only the RS232 connector. They are cheaper but you need knowledge on how to build a compatible RS232 cable etc. So it all depends on your confidence on what you can and want to try and do.

PostPosted: 23.09.2008 14:15 
Junior Modder
Junior Modder

okay well i'll give this way a try untill i can build my experience, hey you have to start somewhere right, do you think i would be able to support 17 Leds and maybe make them do what i did in the picture, by blinking and then staying on, or turning on a couple of nano-seconds from each other?

PostPosted: 23.09.2008 15:02 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Couple of nano seconds is such a short time that you will see the action happen at the same time. Human eye can only see difference when it comes to millisecond range. But yes, it can control them with such a short timing differences.

17 leds is no problem but do you actually need to control that many individually? Six layers and in many layers the multiple leds are lit at the same time -> they can be lit with a single output pin from the Arduino.

PostPosted: 24.09.2008 03:17 
Junior Modder
Junior Modder

Wow, thats pretty cool, i will see if i buy this chip sometime this week, for the type or programing would it be complicated ? and nor do i wana burn the chip so is there maybe some good links that could be used as a tutorial for this chip? or maybe like you had said in one of you prev. post that maybe you could help me with that?

But again thanks for all your support and i will see if i buy this chip this week,
-Irvin

PostPosted: 24.09.2008 07:24 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Start from here: http://arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/HomePage

Led blinking is the most basic one to start with:
http://arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/Blink

In your case, you just write more of these digitalWrite(pin<number>,HIGH); delay(<amount>); to the loop section to light the leds up in a sequence you like.

PostPosted: 25.09.2008 03:08 
Junior Modder
Junior Modder

Great, i also have a question about the chip itself, now i know you recommended the Arduino nano but could i also use the Arduino Diecimila as well since its 35$ , what would be the difference from the nano, slimmer, smaller,faster,newer etc... but will it still operate the same as the nano (if not better) ? and if so could i hide it into the project itself and not make it too obvious that it is present ?

At the moment im learning as much as i can now so i can get familiar with the chip even before i get it in my hands, if i can pull this project off i will be dedicated this project you :D and will post vids of course so dubble smile :D :D lol

Thanks again for all your help and support.
-Irvin

PostPosted: 25.09.2008 08:27 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sure, the Diecimila would work the same. Arduino is an open platform but all of the variations are based on the same core and will function more or less the same. There are some exceptions like the Lilypad that offers less pins and you have to take that into account when using it.

As you can see, there are 14 digital I/O pins. You mentioned you want to control 17 leds. There are leds that can be on at the same time?

And yes, you can route the wires to the leds from a distance so you can hide the Arduino board where ever you want.