Metku.net

MetkuMods
It is currently 19.09.2018 02:42

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Clear coat on chrome
PostPosted: 28.06.2002 16:56 
Mini Modder
Mini Modder

Sorry if this topic has been dealt with but I don't understand finnish.

Anyway, I have tried painting with chrome paint and it really gave a good shiny metal look. But when I sprayed on the clear coat, the chrome lost it's shine and just looked like a dull metallic gray look (the mouse buttons on my modded mouse). On your article, I see you used Dupli-Color clear coat (or varnish if that's how you refer to it). I used clear coat of the same brand but the can design was different. I'm not sure of this but is there a difference between Clear Coat and Clear Varnish? If there is, then that might be the problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28.06.2002 17:49 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Varnish was the word that I looked up with the help of dictionary. It might not be accurate but clear coat and varnish are quite close to each other. I noticed that the chrome lost it's effect and turned gray. I pointed this out in Finnish version but I'm not sure did I do the same in English one too. In my opinion the whole chrome painting for surfaces that will be touched is useless. This because at least I wasn't able to find a good varnish that didn't take the shine away and because you can't leave the varnish out coz chrome surface will get dirty and blacken in time. Chrome is good for fans etc. because you don't touch them that often ... maybe I should have pointed these things out in my article too. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20.07.2002 09:03 
Junior Modder
Junior Modder

I've bought some silver primer and Chrome Paint Finnish. The Chrome paint is paint and Varnish. I'm friends with XtK. So we'll let you know how the shine turns out.

Plus it would've been a good idea to point out to the newbies that some paints can melt the plastic. You don't want that. :P

and over here in the USA, you can't buy paint if your under 18. They don't want you sniffin it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21.07.2002 04:08 
Lol Ya We went to a local hardware store and they wouldnt sell us spray paints even tho we showd alot of intrest in doing some modding..... Those Basterds.......

Post subject: Lol
PostPosted: 21.07.2002 04:17 
Junior Modder
Junior Modder

Last post was me.... XtK

Dam HomeDepot........ :twisted:

Post subject: Chrome clear coating
PostPosted: 27.07.2002 05:55 
1st time to site great ideas. I had a thought that you may want to try finding a clear coat acrilic spray paint to use as a sealer for the chrome paint. I used this on my cardoor handle and it works(for the most part). Make sure the chrome is WELL dried(24-48hrs) before you apply the clear coat or you will get the dulling. Polish as needed

Post subject:
PostPosted: 27.07.2002 06:06 
Just wanted to add DON'T use a varnish. Their for wood and will always result in color dulling. The can you show a picture of in Card Painting is for wood (note chair on can) NOT metal of plastic. Look for a clear coat that is useable on cars.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 27.07.2002 12:41 
Site Admin
Site Admin

That might be the one reason. I bought that varnish/clear coat because they said on the chrome paint can that this product goes nicely with this particular varnish. Well, it doesn't. Maybe I should email them and ask for refund. ;)

Post subject: Clear finish
PostPosted: 13.09.2002 00:12 
You may want to use a couple of coats of car wax. It should give you a nice shine and will also help with the durability. Just a thought.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11.04.2004 09:46 
yep, i painted a bottom pansar of my moped whit chrome and putted some varnish to that one, well, it melted and lost its shinyes, well not compleately but still, anyway seems like that chrome paint reacts whit almoust any cemichal i tryed some brake cleaner, it melts whit that
and eaven whit "tärpätti" (just an finnish name for that stuff they use tho make oil paints thinner)