Metku.net

MetkuMods
It is currently 22.10.2018 00:33

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Question / Comments?
PostPosted: 17.11.2009 22:25 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I'm not so familiar with the electrical side of the hotshoes but I believe they give a burst of power when the flash is required to go off... I really can't say if that could be used to power these or is the signal more of a signal to flash to fire and it doesn't deliver that much power... Sorry.

Hehe, well, soldering is the easiest part in this mod. Just find anyone with a soldering iron and they will be able to do this for you. :)

PostPosted: 18.11.2009 02:38 
Super Modder
Super Modder

I thought about that as well, but for all I know the flash shoe doesn't have any usable voltages, and for sure no 12 volts. :( Guess I'll have to build a transformer powered version as well.

PostPosted: 18.11.2009 22:09 
Junior Modder
Junior Modder

I just Finished reading through your project on the Ring light, and I was wondering, Could these Ring lights be used on Computers? I am currently in the pricess of building and moding a New Computer Build. And If I understand correctly, the Ring lights operate on 12v and seeing most add on's to a computer are 12v. I would think that these ring lights would work, but I just wanted to get your thoughts.

Thanks
SGTDRE

PostPosted: 19.11.2009 09:55 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yep, they should work straight from the 12 volt supply just fine. Just use the yellow for positive and one black wire for ground from the molex wire and you are set. :)

PostPosted: 19.11.2009 12:16 
Junior Modder
Junior Modder

oh man! I made similar thing just maybe two months ago, but I did it with 5mm leds and the soldering job was crazy compared to this, I also put dimmer in there, but you don't really need to ever use it. when you buy filters you usually get those plastic cases with them, that's what I used for case for my leds. the whole thing was made for 52mm diameter.

But even the leds felt really bright, I didn't thing they were too powerful for macro shots, worked great for close up potrets though. The way japala made it it has more than double of leds, and it's way bigger, but i'm not sure if the leds are as powerful as what I used, but it sure looks like they are!

PostPosted: 20.11.2009 18:11 
Junior Modder
Junior Modder

japala wrote:
I'm not so familiar with the electrical side of the hotshoes but I believe they give a burst of power when the flash is required to go off... I really can't say if that could be used to power these or is the signal more of a signal to flash to fire and it doesn't deliver that much power... Sorry.

Hehe, well, soldering is the easiest part in this mod. Just find anyone with a soldering iron and they will be able to do this for you. :)

Lol, the easiest part would be difficult for me, I'd rather just someone who has done it before do it for me honestly.
Can you give a bit more details on how to connect this to the power? You don't really show it here, and I'm not all that familiar with the electricity side of electronics.

Quote:
I thought about that as well, but for all I know the flash shoe doesn't have any usable voltages, and for sure no 12 volts. :( Guess I'll have to build a transformer powered version as well.

So, if one were to somehow make these like a normal flash that could be used with a battery pack and a capacitor, and connect it to the hotshoe, could that work then?

PostPosted: 21.11.2009 17:17 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Is there is a reason why you need to make it work like a flash? In theory you could run higher voltage to the leds as you would only pulse the light but this would make it harder to take the actual photos as the camera's metering electronics does not know about the leds flash that it is rigged to the camera...

In this photo one can clearly see the wiring of the ring light. The red wire is where you hook up the plus line coming from the 12 volt source. Black wire on the ring light is the where you hook up the ground (negative) wire coming from the power supply. It doesn't matter if you use a regulated wall transformer or a battery, the hookup is the same. Just cut away the original connector from the ring light and hook it up to the power supply of your choice.

PostPosted: 22.11.2009 16:47 
Junior Modder
Junior Modder

Nice mod. I'll run it off a 9V block once I've received the parts and made my own. Then I'll see how the camera copes with the lower power.

Q: Did you sand both sides of the ring in front of the LEDs?

PostPosted: 22.11.2009 17:12 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yep, I did.

PostPosted: 26.12.2009 00:27 
Regular Modder
Regular Modder

Japala , I LOVE IT !!! When I first started reading here and playing with LED's I used a foam-core board to make something similar to this, but just never could get it to "work" the way I wanted it to. For me with this the mounting was the problem, and I NEVER even thought about using one of the dozens of CD cases for it and now OF COURSE you came through once again.

THANKS for this one, it is GREAT !!!

Dan

PostPosted: 02.01.2010 16:08 
Junior Modder
Junior Modder

Just FYI: DealExtreme has a "temporary" stock shortage since 22.11.2009, so I've been waiting almost 6 weeks. Something to consider when placing your order.

PostPosted: 02.01.2010 17:10 
Site Admin
Site Admin

It is too bad that they can't fill the orders. It seems that this is the case with most of their items. DX used to work quite well a year ago but now...

PostPosted: 19.01.2010 07:09 
Junior Modder
Junior Modder

Hi,

Firstly thank you for this wonderful article! I'm glad I found an easy solution for a ring light. I plan to build one (have ordered the parts 90mm and 120mm) and know how to solder, but can you recommend a cheap battery solution? I have RC batteries ranging from 7.4v to 10.8v accessible. How would you design a battery pack? I would like it to be small and portable. Also, what about the implementation of a potentiometer to adjust the level of brightness? Your feedback is very much appreciated, thank you!

PostPosted: 27.01.2010 16:07 
Junior Modder
Junior Modder

systemA wrote:
Hi,

Firstly thank you for this wonderful article! I'm glad I found an easy solution for a ring light. I plan to build one (have ordered the parts 90mm and 120mm) and know how to solder, but can you recommend a cheap battery solution? I have RC batteries ranging from 7.4v to 10.8v accessible. How would you design a battery pack? I would like it to be small and portable. Also, what about the implementation of a potentiometer to adjust the level of brightness? Your feedback is very much appreciated, thank you!

This is a decent battery pack, that can be used both as a flash booster and to give amph to ring light: click

PostPosted: 27.01.2010 16:56 
Site Admin
Site Admin

kansalainen wrote:
This is a decent battery pack, that can be used both as a flash booster and to give amph to ring light: click

This will not work with the rings from the modding article. It uses only 6 AA batteries so it can't provide enough voltage that the 12 volt rings need.