Metku.net

MetkuMods
It is currently 22.08.2018 03:05

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 24.04.2005 23:18 
Junior Modder
Junior Modder

K, I built a LED circuit to go with the HDD activity. It worked fine when all was said and done. then one day when i changed my ram it stopped working. Maybe I hit something, prolly wasnt the ram, but nevertheless only 1 LED would light up and it would not sequence. So I've managed to fry 1 motherboard and my circuit since then. But yeah, now i'm trying to get it to work again, this time being extra careful. anyways. as far as I know everything is hooked up how it should be. But the sequence doesnt follow HDD activity. It just goes in sequence at full speed at all times. When I take out the HDD leads from the motherboard the LEDs go out. I dont get it!!! I've looked at it over and over again, I've replaced all the chips and resistors and capacitors and everything that could possibly of burnt out.

Any idea what could be the problem?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 24.04.2005 23:46 
Junior Modder
Junior Modder

K i tested my HDD activity mobo leads on a seperate LED and they work fine. So that is not the problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 25.04.2005 07:22 
Site Admin
Site Admin

"When I take out the HDD leads from the motherboard the LEDs go out." And you are 100% sure that this happens? I'm just asking because the 4017 gets its power from the PSU alone so there should be always one led lit even if the circuit is not connected to the motherboard. Motherboard just provides the "clock signal" to the 4017 to count forward.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 26.04.2005 05:58 
Junior Modder
Junior Modder

yano i cant remember. i thought for a second 1 stayed on...but for some reason it is in the back of my mind that they didnt. but i got sick of it and just made my "Y" formation of LEDS just go off the 555 timer alone, and made each LED at the end of the lines go with the HDD activity. The Y LEDs are amber and the ones on the end are red. it looks pretty sweet. My custom flux capacitor/helicopter landing pad haha.

but yeah if you still have any ideas of what it could have been, i'm all ears.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 26.04.2005 10:50 
Site Admin
Site Admin

There can be tons of stuff wrong and the fact that you don't remember exactly how the circuit behaved makes it even more difficult the guess anything. Check, check and recheck and it should be fine. On the other hand, there is a possibility that either the 555 or 4017 is burnt and the circuit isn't working. That is why you should build it again with different chips.

I'm not sure if it were you who I talked with about the usage of transistor to run multiple leds. As the 4017 can't provide enough current to even a single superbright led, it is always necessary to use NPN-transistors on each output pin of 4017 if you have multiple leds.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 27.04.2005 01:59 
Junior Modder
Junior Modder

yeah i tried replacing the chips again and again. didnt do anything (except after i fried the one set).

and yeah you did tell me to use transistors but i dont think i really have any need for them. i have some but i dont know how to make them work so i just gave up. they are bright enough for me without using transistors. enough to brighten up my ceiling a tad bit in low lighting.

but yeah i could try rebuilding the circuit on another breadboard and see if i get different results,but i just dont have the time to do that at this point in my life. work consumes me. and i'd rather be gaming.

thanks for the advice though.