Metku.net

MetkuMods
It is currently 22.08.2018 03:05

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: i got a question
PostPosted: 30.03.2006 09:32 
Ultra Modder
Ultra Modder

heres what im working, im working on Project Luminglass. im also working on a little part that i put a little post in there about. im planning on doing this mod the way i described in the post. ive already ordered the 4017, 555, and the 1uf. now im wondering about the resistors. im planning on having each pin from teh 4017 support 2 leds that will be lit at the same time. how would i go about wiring up the resistors, would i put on resistor on each leg of the 4017 then connect 2 leds to that resistor??? also, doing the mod as in tutorial for the first one, how many volts are put out on each leg of the 4017???

basically with that part, im kinda clueless about what to get. imma use a total of 20 leds(3.2v, 25mAh), 2 on each leg of the 4017. what resistors would i need. at this point, im kinda confused about how to calcualte this, and what to order. would i need 20 resistors, or only one??

Xxcr4shxX: w/e
Crash2108: we?
Xxcr4shxX: what ever
Crash2108: no, tell me what w/e is first

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30.03.2006 17:31 
Site Admin
Site Admin

4017 can only supply couple of milliamps per output. This means that you can't properly use even a single superbright led with it. What you need is to add a transistor to each output pin of the 4017. This way you can have as many leds per output as the transistor can handle the current.

Like this:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 31.03.2006 22:30 
Ultra Modder
Ultra Modder

so what is the output volts and mAh that the 4017 puts out?? im not really looking to use the max potential brightness, just enough to light up some hot glue.

Xxcr4shxX: w/e
Crash2108: we?
Xxcr4shxX: what ever
Crash2108: no, tell me what w/e is first

Post subject:
PostPosted: 31.03.2006 23:14 
Site Admin
Site Admin

http://cache.national.com/ds/CD/CD4017BC.pdf

Page 2. With 5 volt operating voltage you are lucky to get even a one milliamp out from the output. As the chip is designed only to be used as a driver for inputs of other TTL components, it just needs to get the voltage to logical high and nothing more. This is why you need to use a transistor or something similar to drive the led/leds with. You might get a single led lit on each of the output line but that depends solely on the specs of the leds. My guess is that it is easier to test this and see how it goes as it is nearly impossible to determine the brightnes just by looking at the bare numbers.