Metku.net

MetkuMods
It is currently 01.10.2014 19:15

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Whole thing doesnt fit
PostPosted: 28.09.2003 18:22 
Regular Modder
Regular Modder

I filed my LED down to almost where its coming out of the plastic, but with the resisters and the solder, the whole thing isnt fitting back into the molex connector! :evil: It gets in like 50 percent, but you could tell the plugs arent extended all the way and arent secured by their pins. Oh, also, Im using 3 resistors (100ohm,2x33ohm) because I was too lazy to go to Radioshack. Does anyone have an ideas to get it in there? :!:

Should really make an avatar. Nah. Nevermind.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 29.09.2003 11:00 
Super Modder
Super Modder

Perhaps some pictures are an order?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01.10.2003 04:58 
Too poor for pictures, for now anyway

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01.10.2003 10:52 
Super Modder
Super Modder

Well, what I'd recommend is firstly seeing how far down you have cut the walls. With the walls down as far as possible, you should be able to fit it all in there. If, however, you have soldered it all up into some fancy formation that won't even fit inside the plastic, I'd recommend cutting the pieces apart, and try to fit it all back together again, in a more suitable manner.

BTW I like ur new sig :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: 03.10.2003 13:34 
Super Modder
Super Modder

In my experience with those molex lights (experience i could do with more), I've come up with 2 conclusions in why your thingo doesnt fit into the thingy.
1. You chose a molex connecter, which already has another molex connecter coming off it, thus you have VERY little room and are forced to cut through the casing unless you have made the resistor extra tall, extending out of the casing.
or
2. You have used too much solder and are clogging the pins from fitting back into the casing.

How I recommend going about this as easiest as possible (and I know some people will not like my idea... :roll: ), is to never EVER trim the wires on the resistor or LED too short! Give it some room! What I mean, is you CAN trim it, but just a little. Give it some slack. So what if it pertrudes out of the caseing? It looks better, and your chances of it not fitting decrease significantly. Or, maybe I have been the only one trying to fit the resistor into the casing along with everything else... Anway, also don't forget to use some insulation for the wires, otherwise if they touch, BOOM! Nah, I'm kidding round with ya, but if they do touch and the power's flowing, then you have to start over again with a new LED and Resistor. I've fudged up 2 of mine from doing that :twisted:

Anyway, good luck!
-An@rchy

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16.10.2003 00:51 
Regular Modder
Regular Modder

yea, i had that problem with my first glowpad, which was my first mod. i messed up twice, and was too much of a moron to figure out why it didnt work. :oops: its the last molex on the chain, so i have plenty of room. i really think its because the whole..."unit" is too large for the molex, 3 resistors and a LED is a bit tough to shove in there.

but now, onto a whole new problem that ive come across. my power supply refuses to accept my cold cathodes anymore. the computer wont turn on with them plugged in. it was working fine before, but since i re-set up the inverter and controller (cut a hole on top of case for controller) its just been turning off. any ideas?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16.10.2003 05:20 
Ultra Modder
Ultra Modder

if its possiable try and have the ccfl not connected into anything if it has one of those pass through connecters. cuz i used to have mine on my primary hdd power set(it went from psu molex-ccfl molex-into hdd). when ever i would flip my switch for the ccfl, it would freeze the computer. so i would say to try a diff. power config for ur ccfls.

Xxcr4shxX: w/e
Crash2108: we?
Xxcr4shxX: what ever
Crash2108: no, tell me what w/e is first

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16.10.2003 10:01 
Super Modder
Super Modder

Yea, what crash said :P
You said you re-set up your inverter and controller, did you change any wire config there?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17.10.2003 02:52 
Regular Modder
Regular Modder

ah...yet another newbie mistake. when i stuffed in the controller for the cffls, i was rather harsh :twisted: (a bit angry with the imperfect fit) therefore, when i shoved it in, one set of wires got stuck between the controller and the case. apparently, the cut was sharp enough to dig into the wire, and make contact with the case...forcing everything to stop working. ah, im such a moron

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17.10.2003 10:24 
Super Modder
Super Modder

Shut UP! Don't say that here! Everyone learns from mistakes, and you shouldn't blame yourself! 8O

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19.10.2003 18:47 
Regular Modder
Regular Modder

i guess. i improvise a lot, im very lazy, so i dont work out small details. has anyone ever painted in insides of their case?

btw...has anyone ever noticed that red cffls are pink? :x

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30.10.2003 16:10 
Mini Modder
Mini Modder

Just a quick idea. Couldn't you extend the resistor all the way outside the connector so there's ample room in the middle connectors? You could use part of an old IDE cable for wire and maybe some heatshrink. Just an idea; kinda surprised that nobody has considered this yet. Then maybe jalapa's idea toward the end of the Molex light tutorial, having multiple colors that can switch would be easily feasible.

60GB HDD
Radeon 7000 (wince)
802.11 b/g/super g
DVD-ROM/CD-RW

Main Comp:
P4 2.4
1gb 2100 DDR
DVD+RW drive
80gb hdd
Case with a BUILT IN HANDLE!
Assorted lighted fans and CCFL
Radeon 9200 128mb

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30.10.2003 16:11 
Mini Modder
Mini Modder

Just a quick idea. Couldn't you extend the resistor all the way outside the connector so there's ample room in the middle connectors? You could use part of an old IDE cable for wire and maybe some heatshrink. Just an idea; kinda surprised that nobody has considered this yet. Then maybe jalapa's idea toward the end of the Molex light tutorial, having multiple colors that can switch would be easily feasible.

60GB HDD
Radeon 7000 (wince)
802.11 b/g/super g
DVD-ROM/CD-RW

Main Comp:
P4 2.4
1gb 2100 DDR
DVD+RW drive
80gb hdd
Case with a BUILT IN HANDLE!
Assorted lighted fans and CCFL
Radeon 9200 128mb

Post subject:
PostPosted: 31.10.2003 00:24 
Super Modder
Super Modder

That works fine - believe me, thats practically what I did, although you need to be extra careful to wrap them in some sort of insulation. As for the IDE cables, heatshrink and multiple colours, thats a worthy mod worth doin! Good LUk!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 31.10.2003 06:56 
Ultra Modder
Ultra Modder

LSDiodes has a great led that changes colors by itself. it costs 2 bux, which isnt bad compared to other sites ive seen. i was thinkin about doin that with the only one i got left, but i wanna mod my cellphone and put that led inside it. plus order a resistor for it, those are extremely sensitive. i was curious to see how fast it would go hooked up to 5v.(the only take upto 3v), it only turned red and fried very quickly.

Xxcr4shxX: w/e
Crash2108: we?
Xxcr4shxX: what ever
Crash2108: no, tell me what w/e is first