Metku.net

MetkuMods
It is currently 23.10.2019 19:05

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 06.02.2003 22:28 
Hey, this might sound like a really lame question, but what is the best way to heat acrylic? I've tried using a blow drier, because i used that for my xbox to modify the jewel and it worked fine. But this acrylic really just wants to stick to its original form. I was going to try boiling it in hot water, then put it on the mouse when it can be molded. But i wasnt sure if that would work, or if i would need to put a plastic baggie over the mouse so the acrylic doesnt stick to it when i let it cool off. Well, any help would be fantastic.

Peace,
The Rev

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06.02.2003 22:36 
Mini Modder
Mini Modder

Based on my experiance with modling moulth gaurds to my teeth, if you boil it you are likely to get air bubbles...

I was going to try holding it over a stove burner. Always worked for the cork on my saxophone...

I would also like to know how other peple have done this...

Post subject: What i did
PostPosted: 07.02.2003 05:23 
Well, I went along and boiled water. It worked fine, better than i thought it would actually. I had some tongs that I gripped the acrylic with, and put it in the boiling water and tested it on the bottom of the pot so i could tell when it was easy to shape, when it was, i took it out and put it on top of the mouse which had Reynolds Wrap™ tight around it, just incase it was going to stick, i doubt it would have anyway, but just incase. It really worked well, if i can get a picture of it i'll post it on here. It was a really easy way to do it, and i really recommend it.

Just thought i'd fill you in,

The Rev

Post subject:
PostPosted: 24.03.2003 17:40 
I was thinking of using a the grill in our gas oven hold the two sides in clamps or something and just keep it underthere till it deforms.

Can't do it in an oven apparently cos fumes can build up and then explode which is obviously not a good thing (tm)

BlueGhost

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07.06.2003 17:50 
try a cigarette lighter just hold it so the flame does not touch the plexi-glass it is really easy it may not be the best because if you are in a hurry it turns it black and you have to wipe it off and sometimes it does not come off totally but i was trying to make a 90 degree angle so just to curve it to fit your mouse would be easy. I've tryed hair dryer, a little heat and even a propane torch but the lighter has the best results. Just make sure you you do not stop moving the lighter or it will make like little bubbles come up. hope this helps :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01.08.2003 23:32 
The "right" way to do it is to get a heat gun at a hardware store (~$30US). This works basically like a blow dryer, but gets much hotter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12.07.2004 18:40 
I used the gasstove, after all other options had failed though.
It works really well, but you'll have to watch out you don't overheat the plexi.

I do have one little question: Did all af you used actual plexi-glass or acrilyc? I was about to pick some up at the hardware store, and realised plexi-glass was about 70 euro's/square meter, and acrilyc only about 20.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12.07.2004 21:30 
Ultra Modder
Ultra Modder

acrylic works fine, you can even use the clear part from a cd jewel case for the window, and yeah heatgun works the best.

Praetorian wrote:
Nearly every finnish child can read and speak finnish, so it's very easy... :P

www.lsdiodes.com