Metku.net

MetkuMods
It is currently 19.10.2020 18:04

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: COPPER BLOCK
PostPosted: 08.06.2005 08:16 
Junior Modder
Junior Modder

i have been looking for was to better cool my old P3 and desided that I wanted to take a shot at building a custome heatsink. I have since found it very dificult to find the main part to build the heat sink out of, a copper bar. If anyone knows where i might be able to buy a bar of pure copper please let me know. thanks for the help I have been looking for hours :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08.06.2005 12:52 
Senior Modder
Senior Modder

If you ask me its totally insane to make a heatsink out of a copper bar, you need lots of tools to make fins on it and I´d imagine cranking out the old hacksaw won´t do.
Buy a copper heatsink made for another cpu and make a custom attachment for it.
Depending on your P3 a zalman full copper nb heatsink might do since P3:s don´t dispatch that much heat.

POWERCOLOR HD 6950@6970
60Gb Corsair force 3 SSD

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08.06.2005 17:28 
Junior Modder
Junior Modder

One of the points of making it my self was to be a learning experence. also when i look at how thick and spaced out the fins are on the oem heatsink i know that i could not make something worse, an 8 yearold with a hacksaw could have made a better heatsink than that oem one :lol:

i have though been considering making a bracket to mount a better zalman heatsink

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08.06.2005 20:03 
Senior Modder
Senior Modder

it is possible. maybe you have seen that shuttle barebone mod that won some kind of award, sponsored by shuttle themselves. anyways, he cut many plates out of thin, about 0,1mm thick, copper and soldered them all onto a copper block which had cuttings to fit the plates. that whole thing got a cover out of molded plexi, and the temps were amazing! but he had professional tools and spent really much time on that cooler. anyways, building a water cooler is way easier. you could also use aluminium, both could possibly be bought in any shop working with metals, such as workshops etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09.06.2005 03:12 
Junior Modder
Junior Modder

originaly i was planning to build a specal curved fin design that would direct airflow from the right side of the card and spill it upwards this would allow me to take air in from the right of the heatsink and quickly spill the hot air out of the system from the vents already at the top. (the cpu is next to the right side of the casing where there are vents and fans) a blower fan was going to be used to allow all of the fins to recave even amounts of air flow. unforentualy I can not spend $65 on a copper block right now because of some much bigger projects that im also working on so for now I am moding the oem heatsink into a bracket and mounting a xeon heatsink to cool this thing down.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 10.06.2005 00:29 
Senior Modder
Senior Modder

wtf?! a copper block of that size should not cost more than about 3-5$ !!!